6year old needs deodorant?

has anybody have this with their 6yr old? my son was just come from jujitsu class and was running around the house all day, I told him to go take his shower and get read for bed. as I set the water temperature for him he was standing next to me and I could smell underarm body odor from him. (just like his daddy lol). is there a natural deodorant out there for kids? does anyone have a homemade recipe?

northcarolinama

Asked by northcarolinama at 3:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter had this problem at the age of 4. I couldnt beleive it. I consulted the doctor and she said sometimes some kids just get body odor early and to watch for early puberty. She recommended deoderant. First, I tried everything from regular showers to Lime under her arms.(Old west indian cure that didnt work) I didn't want to give her a normal deoderant. I wanted to start her off with a natural one. So I went to the nearest Natural foods store and picked out one called "Tom's Natural Deoderant" I got the one for strong odor and antipersperant. It has no aluminum in it. It worked really well but I just depends on your sons level of scent. I tried a less potent sensitive skin one in the same brand and it didn't work at all. All and All Toms is a good deoderant. Some kids just need it at a early age. I would also watch for puberty earlier than most as well.
    Pudminkal

Answer by Pudminkal at 12:20 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I let my DD use teen spirit...she gets smelly too and it helps out a lot. not sure what a boy would use...I know there are organic ones that aren't scented
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There is an all natural one which I just learned about. Sadly I cannot remember the name of it, but it is available at Walmart. It might be that you could wait a while for him to start using it. My grandsons really do not wash themselves all that well, so we help them with the essential "parts." I think underarms would qualify as one of those.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There are all natural products out there. I think 6 is a little young for major, true, BO. My son is 9 and has had to wear deodorant for about a year now. Kids do sweat, and if he just gotten done with jujitsu then it most likely was just sweat, especially seeing its summer! I would try having him wash with some antibacterial-deodorant soap such as dial, before jumping straight to underarm deodorant. In my opinion true BO, that would need underarm deodorant will be there, all the time, not just when they were running around getting all sweaty.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• IBoys tend to have that "boy smell" lol. I would encourage him to wash his underarms and privates with an antibacterial soap a couple times a day (morning/night) first before the deoderant.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 8 yr old son smells too after playing sports or running around playing. After he's done with hockey he positively reeks. I think its normal and still a bit young for deodorant. Probably around 9. Until then I make him go home and shower.
    wokingmommy

Answer by wokingmommy at 5:09 AM on Jul. 28, 2010