Normal for a 4yo?

Is it normal that a 4yo:
-Still holds his crayon in a fist.
-If ask "Is this puppy big or small" (in relation to another puppy on the page) they reply by saying "big or small" or if ask "point to the bigger puppy" he replies "bigger puppy"-but doesnt point.
- Does not have a big vocabulary yet: when hit by another child all he says is "he hurt me".. and cant really tell me why, where, how --- But a younger child can recall all the events clearly.
this is a child i babysit. how would you handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not sure without knowing more about his other areas of development, it almost sounds like this child hasn't had much interaction with other children and perhaps the parents haven't worked with them very much. This child should be close the age for preschool screening now though, hopefully if there are any developmental delays it will show up there and they can start helping that family.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Children develop at different rates. It also depends on how much time his parents spend talking to him and reading to him - those are both activities that grow vocab.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• ditto PP. but i would also bring it up with his parents because he made need to get evaluated by a specialist, does he have any speech problems or hearing problems or is it just that he doesn't KNOW much yet? at 4yo i would think he could at least point to what u want :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd read to him a lot and if he doesn't have enough books I would tell his parents I'd like to read to him more to encourage them to get more books. I would "teach" him by showing him comparisons like the big and small examples you mentioned and point out many things when taking a walk, etc to increase his vocabulary. It's wonderful you are concerned about him. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure. I'd start working with him and if he doesn't improve go from there.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010