Can love for animals become a nightmare?

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/

anyone relate?

Asked by older at 3:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • When someone doesn't have good interpersonal skills or relationships, the unfaltering love of a rescued animal can be the emotional tie they seek. It is sad--behind such behavior, there really is a good heart, but clearly, there is something wrong!

I have four rescue dogs (and would probably have more if city ordinance didn't disallow more), one cat (at one time four cats too), have had a rescued iguana (and he grew to 5 1/2 feet before I gave him to a children's reptile zoo), trantulas, lizards, birds...thank goodness for city ordinances and my children being grown so I don't get the look from them anymore--it just feeds into my rescue habit! :)
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• So weird...and yes they are right...seems to be woman and lots of cats...I wonder why that is. hmmm
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My neighbor was a cat hoarder. She had 46 at one point. She had a bad marriage and when her husband left she kind fell apart. She told me felt failed by men and wasn't interested in a relationship ever again. So she had two dogs and her cats. They loved her unconditionally and there were no expectations but food and love. Both of those things an emotionally stunted person can manage.

Finally she got evicted because of the cats and she had to give them all away. She kept three, but it was super hard for her to let them go. I talked to her a couple of years later and she said it was heart wrenching to give them up, but she is happier now. She had to seek counseling to get to that point though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Most of these people start out thinking they are helping the animals...then things sort of snowball out of control...it's sad
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Their called hoarders. It's a mental condition and can be towards any thing. They have an impulse to collect certain things, and just can't stop. I find in strange and feel sad for them .
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Animal hoarding is a mental illness which results in animal cruelty and abuse.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010