Where do I tithe?

My family always tithes to the church, and it has brought us great blessings. We recently left the church we attended because of certain changes in the church we didn't agree with. We started attending a new church and have begun to tithe there. However, my husband's father has started an organization in Haiti that is doing alot of good for alot of people. It is a business providing jobs, education, shoes, food, athletics for children and adults, and many other things. My husband and I are possibly moving to Haiti to help with this organization in a couple years. My question is, would it be acceptable to send our tithes to the charity in Haiti instead of the church we attend? Should we split it?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 3:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I think that is your decision to make and no one can tell you whether you're right or wrong for your decision. The important thing is that you see where you can help and are taking action to do so.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You tithe at your church (home). Any additional giving to other organizations is charity.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm assuming if you are tithing that you are doing 10%. If not that's okay we'll just use the 10% as a guide.
    This is what we personally do:

50% of the TITHE to our church, our home church, were we attend Sunday Mass (services).
    10% of the TITHE to our dioceses. This helps the church at large, and just our home church.
    40% of the TITHE to OTHER charities, those things that are good and could use our help.

If it was me your FIL organization would fall into that OTHER charities category. How the number work? Well let just say MY monthly tithe was $120 total.

$60 of the monthly tithe would go my local church, home church, where I attend Sunday services.
    $12 of the monthly tithe would go the church at large or maybe even a mission church, sister church, etc.
    $48 of the monthly tithe to OTHER charity of my choice.

That's how we break down our 10% tithing or our income.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The biblical answer would be NO. Your tithes are supposed to go to your local church.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

What you are describing about the work in Haiti is called a Missions offering. That should be separate from the tithe. A missions offering is above and beyond your tithe. It is not required Biblically as a tithe is. You need to find a home church and give your tithe there. You can do an extra offering to this work in Haiti as the Lord impresses upon your family to. But the Bible is clear that the tithe goes to the church, not a mission work or organization.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 7:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Maybe go talk to the Leader of that church if it would help you feel better? We pay ours to the Church and it gets sent to various places, some to help those in Haiti, and other areas that need help.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 3:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Most Church Staff will tell you that you should tithe 100% to the church and anything additional you would like to give you can put where you want it to go.

For me, it's a matter of conviction and something I think you should pray about. See what is laid on YOUR heart. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Tithe at your home church and give a love offering to your FIL's mission.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Our church asks us to give them 5%, then the other 5% to the charity of our choice. I do think it is important to support your home church.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think you should give at least half to your church. We tithe 80% to our parish and 20% to other faith based organizations. (like monasteries, pro-life and youth groups)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• You should tithe at your church home
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2010