Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be homeless with your child/children?

I took my son to the park this morning and there was an organization there that was serving breakfast to homeless people. I saw this one Mom who was probably 25 and she had a boy with her that was maybe two. She had a bike that was attached to one of those cart things you pull with a bike for children. She had a cardboard sign that said she needed diapers so I asked her what size her son wore. It happened to be the same size my son wears and since I don't live far from the park it was no big deal for me to give her some diapers a blanket and a small push car for her son. But I could never imagine what it would be like to be in that situation. It would be bad enough to be homeless yourself, but even worse with children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. I heard noise outside my door one night and went outside thinking an animal had gotten in the trash. Instead, I found a young mom and her two little girls digging for food. I went inside and filled a grocery bag with food. I saw them a few more times and gave them food everytime. The girls seemed loved and all were surprising clean... seemed like a young lady that came on a bad string of luck.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 3:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Oh that is so sad... I just teared up thinking of it.. I sometimes feel bad that I don't think of things like that enough or help out in areas that need help... It hurts to the core thinking of what if I was in that situation, like both me and my husband lost our jobs.. we'd be in the same boat living paycheck to paycheck and not having enough in savings to cover more than a couple months of living.. ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You did a wonderful thing with this lady, I am sure she will remember your kindness, it is so refreshing to read about these kind of deeds. I couldn't even imagine myself in that situation but none of us are ever immune!

Answer by older at 3:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think I would cry and beg my son's forgiveness 24/7. I'd feel so horrible. Have you ever read the book "The Street Lawyer"? I've read it a thousand times - it's one of my favorites - but in the book there is a very young mother with 4 small children who live in a car during the freezing DC winter and, well, they don't make it. I cry every time I get to that part trying my best not to imagine that it probably happens in reality.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have been homeless and living with my sister and came very close to living on the streets with literally no place to go.
    My 2 teen daughters do an annual fund raiser and go homeless for one night in a park...they say the one thing that stuck with them was you can never get warm.
    I have seen homeless families and it breaks my heart to see the kids without smiles, they are dirty and have nowhere warm to sleep.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No. I don't wonder. My 3 children and I lived in a battered womens shelter for over 6 months. My see to be (at the time) ex was stalking us. Family wanted nothing to do with us, and it was the only "safe' place we could go where he wouldn't be able to find us... It's incredibly frightening.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was homeless with my son who was 10 at the time. We stayed in my car for 2 weeks, then, a shelter for a month. I now own a house a better car and have a nice job. All on my own. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010