What happens at the "Gender" Appointment?

This is our first pregnancy & I am 19 weeks. Last week my OB asked if my DH & I are ready for the
"Big Appointment" and scheduled it for this week Friday. My DH and I were discussing it last night and we were wondering..besides the gender what other things are they going to look for/do? My nurse told me to come in with a full bladder & I thought that was weird...just curious though...

LuvofMusic

Asked by LuvofMusic at 3:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the full bladder thing is because it helps the ultrasound machine see more. other things they look for are the # of vessels in the umbilical cord, placement of the placenta, they check to see if the baby is practicing breathing, also that the baby is using his urinary system, they look at all the babys organs to make sure they are developing properly, they check babys brain, just babys health in general and to make sure everything is working as it should. this is when they found placenta previa in my last pregnancy(the placenta was covering my cervical opening.)
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• the full bladder is for the ultrasound, I think the liquid helps them see things. They will measure your baby, check to make sure everything is developing on schedule and make sure your due date is going to remain the same. And of course they will check the gender.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I always had to empty my bladder before the ultrasound!! Sometimes I had to get of the table and empty it more cause it was hard for them to see lol. They will do all the measurements of the baby (could take about 20 min) then they will try to see the gender if you wanted to know!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• they will show you the heart and you will be able to see it beating, and the different chambers. They showed me the spine, hands, feet, bladder. It is a very special time.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010