how to talk to teen daughter about weight gain

16 year old who has gained 20 - 25 lbs in last 8 months. eating at night. Her dad has had bulimia since age 12 and is now 50.

kimidat

Asked by kimidat at 3:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Is she overweight?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Put a lock on the fridge if needed ; )

Actually I think just changing the fridge items to healthy items so if your little ones want to get in the fridge there's only healthy choices. Let all in your house know a certain time they can't eat after. 10pm is a good time. :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• IMO talking might not be the best solution, it will just make her feel bad about herself and possibly eat more. Maybe do your best to get your WHOLE family on the track to good health, eating good meals (preferably together) and doing fun activities together. Try to make sure she is not bored and not going through a lot of stress at school.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• she is living solely by example.. if that type of food is in the house she will eat it ..remove the nasty crap and only have healthy food.. i was overweight and my dad always thought he was "helping" me by talking.. nope it made it WORSE...instead he got us a family gym membership and that was great! and helped tons
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 4:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My suggestion would be to get rid of all junk food in the house, find ways to encourage her to be active and I'd probably even talk to your dr about a way to help educate her on healthy eating and activity, maybe even getting a referral to a nutrtionist. Be a good role model, but find someone she'd trust too to help her on the journey.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• my rule in the house now is if you want something you must ask..and i will expect that to remain being the rule even when my son becomes a teenager. If you don't want it to hurt her feelings just say something like "you kids are gobbling up too much in snacks and its really costing us a fortune..i'd appreciate it if you guys start asking to have something from now on"...you should make that the rule for everybody. that way you are able to control what they eat. even if she does want to snack throughout the day, maybe you will be able to control the portions
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 17 yr old has put on 10 lbs. Her pedi brought the weight up at the last appointment. She's 5'8" and 164 lbs.
    I dont lecture about her weight. I do educate every child in my house about good eating habits, excerise, and healthy life choices. My fridge and cabinets are full of fruits, whole wheat breads, and healthy snack choices. I do have one thing of ice cream and one bag of cookies a week in the house. Deprivation of sweets usually promotes more consumpition!
    All of my kids play at least one sport. We have a volleyball/badmitten net set up out in the back yard. And if they want to go somewhere, and it is close, I make them walk there with a friend :)
    I would never nag a teen on their weight. Its like everything else you teach them, educate and show by example!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Don't bring it up, it will just make her feel worse, and maybe eat more. Try buying healthier foods and maybe you could tell her you want to get healthier and you would like for her to be your walking partner!
    mommabh3

Answer by mommabh3 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Stop buying junkfoods

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010