I need help - not a hand out just advice

I am a 74 year old lady living on social security and I have a daughter that owe's me $50,000.00 and will not even answer my emails. Any advice?

Barb_Little

Asked by Barb_Little at 4:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• im assuming you were better off when she borrowed the money originally? as much as it stinks and it is your flesh and blood... if you have documents stating it was a loan, then id say take her to court over it as hard as it is.. she can't get away with it either
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 4:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Go see her face to face. Do you have a written agreement about the $$?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Do you have record of giving it to her? Did she verbally agree to pay it back or sign a promise note/contract? Have you talked to her about paying you back in payments?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Written contract? Sue her. If not, then just accept that it's gone.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you do give up, then make sure to at least claim it as a loss on your taxes. Talk to your tax professional first, but I believe she will have to pay taxes on it if you take it as a loss.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You should take her to court. In a lot of cases I would say not to bc you wouldn't want to damage the relationship with your family... but if she is not even returning your emails anyway... then there is little "relationship" there to manage anyway. That puts this in the 'business is business' category for me.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I am sorry for your trouble. My dad always said never lend money unless you can treat it like a gift as you may never see it again. I would see her face to face if you can. To take her to court you would have to have some kind of legal document that she was to pay you back. Call legal aid!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Jul. 29, 2010