How do I get my 6 month old to take formula?

I have been breastfeeding for 6 months. I do not want to anymore. I have pumped some and can sometimes give it to her in a bottle later. But she will not drink formula. I have tryed different kinds. I have tryed mixing a little with breastmilk. I am so discouraged. It is like the harder I try the more the madder she gets. Anyone have any ideas? Please?

sameolgirl

Asked by sameolgirl at 12:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the best way to do it is getting someone else to feed her without you in the room. that's normally the best way. i babysat a breastfed baby, and he ate formula for me because she wasn't there. at first he was resistant, but when he got hungry enough he ate it. she won't eat it from you because she can smell you, and knows that if she fights it enough, you'll eventually feed her BM. you need to be consistant, even if she cries. i know it's hard to hear your baby cry, but if mixing it isn't working then that's probly the best way to go. have you mixed it 75BM/25 Formula, then 50/50, then 75 F/ 25BM, and go from there? you can try that first if you haven't done that. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• ummm... why would you stop breastfeeding? If you have gone this far, why not go the rest of the way? Especially if your baby doesnt want to drink the formula, I would feel blessed that your baby WANTS to nurse, I have had such a hard time nursing and would give anything for my baby to love nursing. Breastmilk is the healthiest thing you can do for your baby, not to mention formula is UNhealthy.. seriously.. research it a little bit and i bet you'll change your mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think the fact that she said that she simply does not want to breastfeed anymore should be enough for you to not advocate it more and tell her how terrible formula is. She did not ask how bad formula is for her child, what she asked was for tips on how to get her daughter to start drinking it.

That being said, I agree with the first poster. I mixed half and half formula and BM when I was weening her onto the bottle, but she definitely took the bottle more readily from her father than she did from me. She took the bottle with formula more readily from me once my milk was dried up. I am sure that my "mommy" smell was/is still there, but the milk itself wasn't, and I just did not give in. Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Having someone else do it often helps. If that does not help, try offering the bottle even after she has refused it (if you know for sure that she's hungry). I'm not saying to let her starve, but hold out the BM a little longer each time. That way, she doesn't think that if she cries, she'll get the boob. Eventually, she will come to accept the fact that she has to drink from the bottle. Another possible problem could be the nipple on the bottle. If she doesn't like the shape, then she probably won't drink. We found that our DD like the Playtex nipples that come with the Drop-In Systems, which was fine for us. I would first start with whatever shape her paci is (if she takes one). Good luck!
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 1:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Why do all the militant breastfeeders insist on posting anonymously? Geez....if you're going to bash someone's decision and tell them that they are giving their child unhealthy food, at least be a big enough person to post with your SN.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 1:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• one small fact about formula. It curds in their stomach and thats why they eat less of it cause. think about it would you rather have cow milk or powdered milk? I understand its a personal choice and pref. but don't be selfish and sacrifice the love of the milk your child is getting and the best antibodies and protection she has now to turn it to powered curded milk. What would you want to drink?
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 1:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2008