My 11 yr old grandson stares into space and won't answer or move for long periods of time, 5-20 min at least. Is it medical or stong willed?

boobaacc

Asked by boobaacc at 4:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It could be either.... I would talk to his Dr about it.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• possible seizures
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• has he been tested for epilepsy? That is what it sounds like to me. I knew a kid that had mini seizures, sometimes 30 in a session and would do what you describe. As soon as he went on medication, he stopped doing it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Is he maybe having a seizure...? Absence seizure

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_absence

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• maybe you should google absent seizures..i think thats what its called. see if that sounds like what he is doing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• To me that sounds like seizures but IDK your child.
    Has this been brought up to his Dr? Does he have other mental health or health issues? Was either of his parents strong willed as a child? how is his life going now with the change into tweenagehood - hormones and such? Has he always done this?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 4:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Could be absence seizures, maybe video tape him next time he does it, and have your doctor look at it. That is way too long for a typical seizure though, most are only a couple minutes, usually less than 5. I'd get it checked out. If the doctor sees a tape and is curious too, then he'll send you to pediatric neurologist and they'll probably do an EEG. I would suggest keeping a log of the occurrences, it could help you connect any common triggers. Like things I'd note were things the child ate/drank that day, what he was doing at the time, how long it lasted, anything you can think of. Good luck
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 4:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• What does his Parents say it is? Is is just with you? If it is really an issue, has he seen his Doctor about it?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd lean more towards medical. A kid I went to school with in 4th grade did that, the teachers would always send him to the principles office....turns out he had a mild seizure disorder. Might not be the case, but definately note worthy of calling a pediatrician. Good Luck. :( *hugs*
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was thinking low blood sugar, I only have him for summer but this is way past nornal. Thanks...I agree doctor.
    boobaacc

Comment by boobaacc (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010