I have a son who is VERY busy. Sometimes he doesn't listen and he acts a little nutty.

He was kept back in first grade last year though he attended Sylvan all summer. The principle said he just did not have the reading skills to learn by reading his own yet. I didn't \agree but she was the end all, so the superintendent told me. Now, he is having issues getting along with the children in his new first grade class. He got an N in that area on his report card. I let his dad (who I am divorced from) know and he went off. He says that I need to take him to the doctor and that something is wrong with him because he just isnt right. I'm going to take him to the dr. but I ended up going off on Dad. I feel like he is being ridiculous and that my son is a pretty normal kid. Perhaps a tad rambunctious at times but overall a great loving and caring kid. I was just wondering how you all's boys are? Like I said Joseph is just kinda nonstop, but he is a great kid.

benya121

Asked by benya121 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it sounds like adhd to me my nephew whom i had custody on and off for a year then for a year straight, he always had to be doing something and then the behavior problems started in school he would be so busy doing what he was doing he wouldnt even hear you talking to him he is in 3rd grade now but wa almost held back to 2 because of his behavior and now my nephew who is in first grade who i had for a year is having slight behvior problems in school and already his teacher said that she thinks he may need to stay back because she doesnt feel he is even ready to be in first grade (hesvery smart and can read and all) she's talking about the level of his behavior if you need some one to talk to or info pm me ive delt with it but i promise you if it is adhd behavior problems wont be far off thats how it started with my oldest nephew now i see it repeating in his brother
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If he has trouble with paying attention, you could add Omega-3's to his diet. Barlean's namebrand has 2 that my children like. One is a fish oil in punch flavor and the other is flax oil in cinnamon or lemonade flavor. If he's needing to slow down some impulsive/compulsive type mad-dash behavior now and then, I'd recommend phosphatidyl serene (comes from soy lecithin). We use 2 child formulas containing this daily for our two who are a bit high strung. Focus for Children by Solaray and Pedi-Active by Nature's Plus. Both of mine take one of each every 4 hours. They are like different children. They still act the same, but a lot smoother around the edges. A good liquid mineral is probably something that would help quite a bit also. I can't think of the brand we use and it's in the fridge. If you'd like to know more, just message me. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Thanks for the ideas guys! I really appreciate it.
    benya121

Answer by benya121 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Hey, honestly...I think boys in general have a lot of energy. I think it's great and I have so much fun with my son. I wouldn't jump and assume ADD or ADHD, I think it's overdiagnosed...and it's also an easy quick fix for people. If it is serious...take him to the doc and check to be safe...but if you have a GUT feeling it's nothing I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in a similar situation. Try the diet ideas...no sugar (which is hard) and the Omegas...I'm in the process myself. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would agree with the supplements-but I would also try to take all the refined sugar,artificial coloring, and certainly artificial sweeteners out of his diet. I have a friend who has trouble with 6 out of 7 kids. They finally took the big steps above and have seen great improvements. ALSO---having two boys--they are full of energy. A lot of boys really aren't ready to sit down and learn until 9 or so. They are ready to learn a lot of other stuff, but worksheets, workbooks, and stuff. That is one reason we home educated our kids. All have excelled academically and socially.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my nephew who has adha was the same way he was on ritalin for the longest time and we realized when neither my husband and i wasn't giving it to him he was more tolerable and calmer still hyper and runs around all day but he pays attention better so be aware if the dr puts him on med's it might do a reverse reaction like it did to my nephew also whenever we're in the car we do a game on how to spell out words who can spell the most words of course i let him win and addition but whenever my nephew gets into trouble at school either no video games or tv or even both depending on the case is taken away for a whole day and he learned fast from that but you have to be consistent and firm on punishment and school work
    vam3283

Answer by vam3283 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Sounds like ADHD to me, too. Have him see a child psychiatrist. My personal experience: my son had trouble reading in kindergarten and thought he was stupid. He had ADHD and we finally started him on meds in January. By the end of May, he was reading at a third grade level!
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't want to get too personal, but how long have you and his father been divorced? The way you described it, it seems like there is still probably a lot of animosity between the two of you. When kids are in situations such as divorce that they can't control, they act out in other ways that may not even seem related at the time. IMO, I'd follow the diet advice and also stick to a daily schedule and routine - especially if he is back and forth between the two houses.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 5:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• ADD and you should probably not let your child watch tv or play video games untill he learns how to read... you are probably be kind when you say he is such a great kid. I bet to other people he is a terror! You need to crack some whips hunnie!
    Anonymous

• Tell the school you're taking him to the Dr and ask the school for him to be tested for learning disabilities too. If your son has a disability, he needs special teaching to learn well.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008