Are you friends with an ex

I am friends with most all of my exs, so is my husband-we loved them for a reason at some point right? lol well my question is are you friends with 'the ex'. DOes it bother your SO?

shesahophead

Asked by shesahophead at 4:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• we have those we still mention fondly, those who we speak friendly of/to when we run into each other, those we are 'social' with on various websites. although neither of us had ever married before meeting (@ 35/42), neither of us were quiet, little mice, either. we both have ...a past!!! lol..and there are, of course, the 'exes' we don't dare speak of or wish to ever see again.
    we're cool like that!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm friends with my ex, we have been divorced 25 years and now have a grandson together. He lives in Vegas and when I go there with my son's family he takes me out with them and treats me great. When he comes to Tucson to visit he often includes me in plans.

I've been single for over 20 years. His wife died about 7 years ago so we don't have SO. We have always gotten along but it is easier now that he doesn't have a SO. I can't imagine getting back together with him, our values are way different.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have one ex I'm friends with still... I see him a lot actually but we were more friends w benifits so we didn't have a drama filled breakup
    big_red05

Answer by big_red05 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• yes I am friends with one, my Dh is friends with a couple of his too.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am friends with a couple ex's...and my SO hates it. He doesn't like me being friends with any males at all. It drives me crazy that he's hella jealous...but I guess that just means he doesn't want to lose me. Obviously he's accepted that he can't do anything about it and that I'm going to be friends with my ex whether he likes it or not.
    nerdymom28

Answer by nerdymom28 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• well at least he knows your a big girl now.lol making your own choices. :)
    shesahophead

Comment by shesahophead (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i used to be friends with all my exes. you're right, you loved them for a reason, and there was a connection. on the other hand... they're also exes for a reason. it's kind of strange but i found this to be an issue with SOs as i got older and people are supposed to be more mature. at some point there is a time to let people go in life so you can make room to grow and for others to fill your heart in a way that you deserve. not just exes but other people who are not necessarily good for you or with whom you no longer have as much in common. it's the same as with household clutter - sometimes your tastes and needs change and it helps to let go of those things which no longer serve you, and in this case those things which potentially interfere with your present and future happiness. alot of times exes are just baggage... in romantic relationships it is appropriate to cut ties most of the time for many reasons.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am good friends with my ex husband. We have kid together so we have to see each other all the time. I loved him once so of course I care about him. My hubby has one ex gf and he doesn't talk to her. It would be awkward for us anyway because she tried to take him away from me and even asked him to marry her after we started dating. She is the one who ended their relationship anyway.I don't trust her.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My ex is still angry with me for leaving even though it was over 4 years ago. So it makes it tense with our shared 50 50 custody of our daughter. I'd like to have a friendly relationship (for our child) but it is impossible.

My husband's ex would LOVE to be friends with us both (she had an affair and left him for another man) but he has no desire to. I have a problem too since I feel this conflict of interest since we are giving her a hefty spousal support payment monthly so she doesn't have to work while we both work our butts off.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2010