My new job is cutting back on hours

My new job is cutting back on hours. Over a month ago, I quit a job because they cut back on my hours to just 16 per week. Everywhere any one is hiring, seems that they are being too stingy with hours (and they keep losing people because of this).

I haven't worked at a full time job since November. I have cut back tremendously, I have no cable and no internet (use the libraries) for example. I'm eating cheap food. My heart is changing in so many different ways.

Every employer wants open schedules, but won't give their part in return in hours. How are we supposed to survive?

I really need a regular income that I can budget with.

sincerely, AngryDepressedConfused&Desperate

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Atleast you have a job...
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It's tough surviving in this economy. Not going to get any better, the way it's being handled. Sorry about your job, hang tough and good luck.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Just hang in there jobs are hard to find right now. Just remember a little bit of hours is better than nothing.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd get 2 part time jobs- I've done that in the past.

They like par timers because they do not have to pay/offer benefits.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure what your question is but by employers keeping part time employees, they are not obligated to provide any benefits. Many small businesses have closed because of the economy in addition to what the health care bill would require them to do.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That crappy. I've heard employers are hiring PT or cutting hours to keep from paying benefits and OT. Things are rough all round and they say don't look for change through 2012. Maybe you could get 2 part time jobs? I hope you can find a workable solution
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Employers are also cutting back on hours in the HOPES that people will quit, and therefore they don't have to pay unemployment benefits--you can only collect if you are laid off....not if you are fired or quit.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that. It must be very stressful. I hope things turn around for you soon.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• if you are in the restaurant industry stick it out till the kids go back to school, it is likely your hours will return when they leave
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2010