Any body has any tips on potty training? My son is almost three years old and I have been potty training him for about a year and a half. He is getting better but I am having a very hard time. So any help would be very much appreciated.

TeddyBear1989

Asked by TeddyBear1989 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i can give you one word : consistency! throw out all the diapers and pull-ups and never look back! i jsut potty trained my 3 yr old in about 3 weeks and she goes all night now! u may have to use bleach like it's goin out of style and shampoo your carpets when ur done but im tellin ya.. stick with it, ask him all the time if he has to go, praise him EVERYTIME he goes potty tell him what a big boy the is and how proud you are of him, or try a chart, when he gets say "X" amount of stickers he gets to pick out a toy, or go out for icecream or get some candy or somethin. hope this helps! it's what worked for me! good luck!
    katamike

Answer by katamike at 2:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• No diapers or pull-ups ever! I hate the pull-up, they keep kids untrained until 3 1/2. Just get him to help clean his accidents and praise any successes. Maybe you could offer rewards for no accidents. Stars on a chart for productive trips to the potty. Fruit rollup or something small and cheap he likes for a day of success. A small toy for 5 days. If you get to 10 days, I'd make him a cake and cheer!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• don't stress or he'll stress. i did the naked thing. that worked well. he just suddenly got it one day. what a relief!
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 6:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am in this same boat with ya. My son will be 3 in Jan. He spent about 3 days having some success on the potty. I managed to get him to even do number 2. I thought it would just take off from there but he has decided he doesn't like to potty any longer. I am just taking a break. Hopefully, I can start again soon. I will think good thoughts for both of us.
    superkathy

Answer by superkathy at 8:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008