Dyslexia

Does anyone have a Dyslexic child? If so, what did you do with them to help them function at an appropriate reading level. My daughter is starting the 5th grade (home school), and can read to me fine, not at a fifth grade level, but she does okay. How do I get her to feel comfortable reading out loud or in public? What I also want to know is, what reading level is your dyslexic 5th grader reading at? And what about writing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you looked into Gillingham-Orton Method?? Multi-Sensory approaches help dyslexics with reading/writing. I was able to find the Gillingham-Orton Method Manual, called Gillingham Manual, at my local library. I just borrowed it for a few weeks, read through it, etc. I will be borrowing it again soon for another refresher in some of the methods described in the book. I've read from various source that it's RARE for child with dsylexia to read pass a 4th grade level. This has to do mainly with the approaches used in the schools. Those that take a multi-sensory approach have much better success. You can get an idea of what your child's reading levels are by using lexile scores. Lexile itself does NOT assign grade levels to the scores, but many schools have equate scores with grade levels.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We use Total reader to get our children's Lexile Score. You have to PAY for total reader, but it's worth it I think. I've also have found a PDF that outlines the lexile scores into a "grade" level. Again this is not something that Lexile does or truly promotes, but a lot of schools have equated the scores to grade levels. That could help you to know what your child's reading level is truly at, and help you to see if there has truly been improvement. I just highly suggest you look into multi sensory approaches to reading, writing, and try to do those as much as possible. As for reading in front of people? Perhaps plays or theater? If that's something she's interested in.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am afraid I dont know the answer to the dyslexia question and it sounds like some others had awesome answers but I wanted to make sure everyone knew in case they werent aware that there are other lesser known learning disabilities that are similar to dyslexia too. One is dyscalcula and it is in math and one is dysgraphia and it is with writing. Some of my kids have one or both of those two latter ones but none of mine have dyslexia. It was very challenging getting them the proper support for their differences.
    Momof5Teens67

Answer by Momof5Teens67 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My son is dsylexic. He is now in 7th grade and reading at a 4th grade level. I would be concerned, but his math abilities, read comprehension, and sequencing capablities are 8 th grade level. It takes him longer to read than most, but he works at it slowly, asks us to sound out and define words, and he works with a school reading program.
    Reading out loud isnt difficult. It is difficult when they are frustrated because they know it shouldnt come out so choppy and slow. We have him read the same paragraph out loud for a week and it gives him the confidence to continue trying.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2010