Do some babies just not smile?

My son is almost 11 weeks old, and still has not smiled. He'll smile in his sleep, but never when he's awake. He was born a month early, so the pediatrician said to wait an extra month, but he'll be three months old soon...

Supernerdywife

Asked by Supernerdywife at 5:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry, give it time.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd say its too early to worry, especially if he is a preemie. Try not to worry, and listen to your doc. And as a mom I know how hard that advice is to take!! Congrats and pay attention...good things are coming and it passes way too fast. Take lots of video.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He'll get there and it's worth the wait!! ;)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Hell get it soon. My son was 6 weeks when he did it first. His smiles are earned though. He isnt a smiley baby, you have to do something to get him to smile at you.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My youngest first smiled at 4wks, but she still wasn't ever a smiley baby. My parents and I tried to get her to smile all the time and she would just glare at us. Now at 3, she is always smiling and laughing. Some babies just don't smile much, doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Good luck. Btw my daughter was 3wks and 6 days early.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 6:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son started smiling once in a while at 6 weeks. It wasnt until closer to 3 months that he would smile and actually know he was doing it.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He'll be smiling to initiate soon. Just keep smiling and encouraging the smile. Around 3 months you will see it come out often. before that it tends to be fleeting and hard to catch on film :P
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Just smile around him... It will happen :)
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2010