Does the baby break your water or does it break on its own?

Some one told me that the baby is the one that causes the water to break, but my mom told me that the baby has nothing to do with it and it does it own its own. Who is right?

Danielle55

Asked by Danielle55 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• on its own i think! mine broke when i sat up in bed!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It breaks on it's own. It may not break at all. A baby can be born in an intact bag of water. In some cultures it's good luck. It usually doesn't happen here because the doctor or midwife would break it if it didn't break on it's own. One of my babies was born on the wave. The water broke right while he was being born and the birth was super easy. No pain meds.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I didn't know the answer to that either. But mine broke at 3am while i was sleeping in bed.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm not too sure.. I would think that the baby has something to do with the water breaking.. Because the baby's head is pushing down on your cervix causing dilation and such..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Think of it like a water balloon. It won't break until something stresses it. Most of the time water breaks because of a contraction. The contraction itself or the force of the pressure pushing on the baby which in turn presses the bag of waters.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• well some researchers believe that the baby puts off some hormones that causes labor to begin, so maybe that's what the older lady meant...? hormones released by baby, uterus begins contracting, cervix dilates, water breaks. lol.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Both. The baby can nick the sac (higher leak), or the pressure from the descent into the pelvis can do it. The contractions can do it...
    It may not happen at all (baby born in the sac).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My water was broke by the doctor, and then second time was during a csection... I don't think the baby breaks it.. hormones and contraction break it.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010