Born with teeth--is this bad or ok?

My husband's nephew was born with a tooth and his mother had to hide him to keep the elderly ladies of the village from harming him. My sister got her first tooth at one month and this is just an amusing part of family history. We come from two very different cultures. If this is bad luck in your culture,why? Is it good luck anywhere?

highestshelf

Asked by highestshelf at 5:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• ? They had to hide him :( All I know is here if your baby is born with teeth they pull it.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• In Greece it's neither good nor bad luck.. it's just something you don't hear a lot!! :)
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've honestly never heard of this (not the tooth at birth but the having to keep it hidden to prevent people from harming the child)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• What do you mean HARM???
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was also shocked, I googled it when I first heard, and it is mentioned as a bad omen in a few cultures. He is one of 3 people I know who was threatened by traditional death as a baby, for different reasons
    highestshelf

Comment by highestshelf (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No, I haven't heard anything like that.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Harmed for having a TOOTH at birth....ummm.....yikes. I thought they just pulled the tooth at the hospital. I don't blame your sister for keeping him away from people that would harm him. I KNOW I would go to jail for someone even thinking they wanted to harm one of my kids. GRRRrrrr
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• wtf is wrong with people???
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Being born with a tooth or teeth already erupted is fairly rare. While some cultures viewed it as a bad omen others (France, Italy) viewed it as good luck. Some Slavic tribes believed children born with teeth would be sorcerer's or witches, and others that they would rise from their graves to suck the blood of their relatives. In Poland and India they are considered monsters and in some parts of Africa these children are left out to die.

Out of curiosity, what culture was your niece born into?
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 7:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• In the states it's an unheard of reaction... but not uncommon in other cultures- they believe the infant is cursed, is a witch, demonic, etc.

I only know of one child personally, who was born with a tooth already erupted, but all three of mine had teeth VERY early (before 2 months). In a few cultures, it is considered a sing of blessing, or good fortune.

Curious, what cultural background the child was born into?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010