When you burry your dead dog, why is it that a few days later the dirt cracks open?

does that mean the body exploded? because theres alot of flies flying around that area.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• I suppose that is what it could be. When ever my dad buried a dog when i was a kid I remember that he would put the dog in a garbage bag because I was worried about something eating it, and then after he would put the dog in the ground he would take a piece of plywood and lay it over top that said on it the dogs name and the day he died, he said that it was so if anyone who moved in after us was digging there for any reason they would know that our dog was there and leave him alone. I suppose, being in the garbage bag, we would never have noticed anything like you have described.

How deep did you bury the dog? Pretty deep I hope, cause the flies might get to the body if not...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• we buried it 4 feet deep. we should of done what your father did with the badg and the wood with the name and d.o.b and past away date:(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If the body is 4 feet deep, then no worries about the flies actually getting to it, but yeah probably they are attracted to that area because of the gases that the body is putting out, they should go away in a week or so.

And don't feel too bad about not doing the wood with the name and all that....now you have an idea for the next time you have to bury an animal (a little side note: Any small animals we had to bury i.e. birds, lizards, etc. went into either a cardboard box or tin can. It helped us as kids to see our animals actually be buried and treated like a person.)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• it's probably the gases escaping. your body gives off gases when it starts to decompose.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When we had to bury our rotweiler we burried him pretty deep. we were also in the country so we sprinkled pepper all over it to help keep coyotes away
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It's the dogs spirit going to the Rainbow Bridge. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but when I read your question...that's the first thing I thought of. :)
    mybritt

Answer by mybritt at 3:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I never noticed that with any of my animals we burried..but we put them all in garbage bags.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• natural decomposition causes gasses to build, the body to swell. the cracks are probably from the swelling/shrinking of the body as well as the escaping gasses [what the flies are attracted to]. many people put a cairn of rocks above the grave to prevent both this, and from anything disturbing the body. sorry for your loss!

people, please don't bury pets in trash/plastic bags. they don't decompose and you are basically making your beloved friend stew in rot for a long long time. the rot becomes toxic, and instead of returning life to the earth, you are poisoning it. bury your pets in cotton, which serves the same as a shroud, but will offer more respect to your pet, the earth, and to the cycle of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2008