what is considered crawling?

my nine month old son has been doing the army crawl for over two months now. he uses his body but he won't lift himself up to crawl. he moves really fast and he can get around the house by doing the army crawl. is this considered crawling or does he have to be on his hands and knees?

xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with the other posters. I also find that a change in substrate encourages different modes of locomotion. For example, the floor is slippery and encourages scooting or "arm pulling", carpet encourages "army crawl" because of the friction, SAND encourages all fours because it is not a permanent surface, GRASS also encourages all fours becuase they can not pull on it to get moveing.

My baby was doing the wiggle around 4 months, 5 months was the arm pulling, 6 months was the crawling after 1 day on the beach -- after that she crawled all over.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Nope, thats a form of crawling, as is hands and knees crawling, and butt scooting, and hands and feet crawling. They are all forward locomotion :) My son army crawled for a month before he hands and knees crawled :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• To me if they're moving it's crawling lol.. My daughter did the worm for a month then got on her hands and knees but is now on hands and knees crawling with her butt in the air lol.. It's all crawling
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010