HPV-A test result of HSIL-posssible cervical cancer

My 25 yr old cousin had a pap and it showed abnormal cells. She had her colposcopy today and the inital results are showing HPV-genital warts.We've all got our fingers crossed that it isn't cancer. Have you or anyone you know been in this situation? I'm very scared for her and really sad. She really wanted kids.:(

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• I have had HPV for probably 20 years - I am not sure which one, but it's the one where you get pre-cancerous cells, not the one where you get actual genital warts. Anyway, I have an 18 month old son and had no trouble conceiving at all, even at age 35. It is scary and it sucks, and she will likely have many procedures through the years to try to get rid of those cells if they keep coming back. Some of these procedures do raise your risk of having problems during pregnancy. I don't want to get super technical on you but the bottom line is, it is too early to worry :) You can have HPV for a lifetime and never get cancer. She just has to be ABSOLUTELY religious about getting her pap smears done, and often. Cervical cancer is preventable!! I go at least once a year, and sometimes my pap comes back clear, don't know why. If you want to write me privately I can go into more detail about what I have learned over the years.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i had an abnormal pap that showed pre cancerous cells. the dr office that did the colposcopy was crappy though. they told me not to worry about the results, that i was too young for any kind of treatment anyway. when i told my dr that here he looked at me like i was crazy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had a colposcopy in 1996, due to an abnormal pap. My doctor didn't specify WHY the results were abnormal, and I was young and admittedly intimidated by her, so I didn't ask. Since the procedure, I never had an abnormal pap again, nor have I had any other medical issues. I went on to have two children a few years later--and I only had one ovary!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Genital warts is an STD. A type of HPV but you get them from sexual contact There are MANY different kinds of HPV. Abnormal cells in and of themselves DO NOT MEAN you will get cancer. She will need to be monitored and get regular pap's, but this in no way means she wont be able to have kids. She may however HAVE to have C-sections with kid in order to NOT pass on her STD warts to her kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010