Toddler Beds...

HI ladies! We were given a toddler bed for our son but I am not sure when to use it? My other two boys used one, but i cannot remember what age they started. What is the earliest that the beds are used? I am just concerned about my DS because he keeps sticking his legs through the crib and he got his leg stuck the other day and it scared me to death. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm torn at this point. I don't want him to get hurt in his crib and he just turned a year. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Momofboys22

Asked by Momofboys22 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am right there with you! I feel the best way to know when it is time is to watch your sons cues. My son got his legs stuck in between the slats of his bed the other day as well. However, all he did was fuss and I came in and moved his leg. I am not comfortable, at this time, with moving him to a toddler bed.. but I know the move is in the near future. My biggest task right now is to 'toddler proof' his room! Eck!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I used one when my son was 18 months.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 5:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If its okay with him and hes willing to sleep in it I would switch him to the toddler bed now as long as he dosent fall out of it or something.
    Danielle55

Answer by Danielle55 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It really depends on when he is ready. I think the average age is 2-3 yrs, but I know many kids are ready much earlier. We moved our DD to her bed when she was 2 yrs. She wasn't quite ready, so it was a tough transition. We also had a problem with her getting her legs and arms stuck in the crib, so we bought a mesh crib bumper. It worked great! I think you can find them at Babies R Us.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 5:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son was about 14-15 months when i put him in his bed..the transition took a couple nights, but we havent looked back since! It would be nice if i had a way to keep him in it! We still struggle at bed time sometimes but over all its not biggie!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The right time is when you feel comfortable moving him over. Both of my boys were out of their cribs before 18months only because they like to climb and could almost get out of their cribs. If you are worried about him falling or rolling out of a toddler bed, some stores carry extra side guards that you attach to the bed.
    Daltonswife

Answer by Daltonswife at 6:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We moved our toddler into a big bed (because we couldnt buy a toddler bed at that time) when he started standing up in his cot and had the strength to pull himself out(which he didnt do but i was afraid he would). He was 15moths old and he took to the bed perfectly.
    MummaMj

Answer by MummaMj at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We just moved into a toddler bed last week. My daughter is 22 months old. We had the same problem you do - the legs sticking through the crib.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010