What would you do with a 3 year old who...

What would you do with a 3 year old who knows how to use the potty and can stay dry for months at a time but then decided he doesn't have to use the potty and starts going in his underwear again. To the extent he tells you he has to go and you tell him to go then and he says

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• dont change his clothes for a while.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would go back to the drawing board and start over!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I potty trained my son by letting him pee in his underwear so he'd get the idea of how it felt. By the end of the day, he was using the potty. It took 2 weeks til he was trained day and night. Leave him in his clothes and make him clean it up. Put him in the tub and have him wash his clothes. DO NOT make it fun. He's testing limits and boundries to see what all this new found stuff can do. Good Luck! Be consistant and you'll get there!!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would discipline him.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 5:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• DONT make a big deal out of it. and he continues to insist this way, put him BACK in a diaper. because only BABIES do this. and tell him that. be matter of fact, not emotional. also have him participate in cleaning up, rinsing his clothes and what not. that if he chooses to do these things then he has to clean them up matter of fact. sounds like the beginning of a battle of wills with him so take away the battle.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd have to agree with the posters above - time to go back to diapers for a while. Really cheap, scratchy, bulky ones that he hates. Tell him that big boy clothes need to be earned by peeing and pooping like a big boy, not a baby.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd leave him in it for a while and then I'd have him help with the clean up. He'll get tired of cleaning up after a while. Also, he may be trying to be the "boss" or get a reaction out of you, so it's best to stay calm and act like it's no big deal to you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son did this. We asked him why he was doing it. Come to find out he was doing it for the attention. He missed me I had started working more hours then what we had planned. Now that we decided that I am staying home he hasnt done it. He is acting out and looking for the attention you will give him. Ask him why he is doing it. Something might have changed and you need to sit down and have a heart to heart with him.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have tried making him change himself, putting him back in diapers (he keeps the diapers dry), not letting him change for a while, disciplining him, he gets rewards for staying dry.
    He potty trained himself so there really isn't any starting over for us. Besides, when he was potty training he was more than happy to go on the potty and now he refuses.

JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If I ask him why he does it he says because I do.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2010