Trying to get my son to stay dry thru the night....

What did you do to teach your child about getting up in the middle of the night so he doesnt pee the bed?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I started restricting liquids and snacks 1.5 hours before bed once she was off the bottle and quit the night feedings. From there it just takes time for them to realize that they need to go. Some kids are such sound sleepers that they don't notice. For mine, she just was worried that she would get into trouble for getting out of bed for awhile
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Usually if one of mine has an issue going in the middle of the night i get up and wake them around midnight to go.... that ways they learn to wake up and go when they're older.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 5:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• They arent allowed to have any thing to drink after 630pm. We wake him up at midnight and he still seems to pee during the night.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Try waking him up more than once during the night. Maybe at 11 and then again at 2. It sucks to set alarms throughout the night to take your kid to the bathroom, but it beats wet sheets imo.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 5:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My brother's kids had an alarm that went in their undies and went off if it got wet. It helped the deep sleepers learn to wake up when their bladders were full.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Where the heck do i get one of these alarms?
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• How old is your son? When I potty trained my DD her learning to stay dry through the night happened last. She wasn't even two years old yet so her bladder was still pretty small. There's really nothing you can do to teach them to stay dry through the night. They just have to do it on their own. Unless he's 4 or older than you might need to work with him some. I kept my DD in pull ups at night till she went a week being dry. We've never had a night time accident.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 7:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• He is 3 yrs old and we do the pull ups at night. I am probably going to have to set up times to wake him up.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I have a 6.5 year old that still wets every night. We restrict liquids after dinner and get her up once sometimes twice to go and she still wakes up wet. It will happen when she is ready.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010