Breast Feeding...

I plan on breast feeding my son who is due in Sept. In his nursery I have set up a twin size bed that way I can have some where to sleep if I need to just to make it easier. I need advice on thing's that you did to make it easier on you as in breast leaking and other thing's that helped you to to breast feed your child...

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 6:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wore a nursing top and stuff it with two breastpads each side at first..I leaked a lot and had very full boobs. Nursing tops with clips...they helped hold the breastpads perfectly in place. Also you can get a night nursing bra too which I did use too.

You will find it much better for you and your baby to sleep together. It might take you a while..but try to learn to nurse lying down..it took me a few weeks to nail it but I was glad I did..as sitting up was really hard especially as you will be very tired.

In the first few weeks, although you aren't suppose to until at least 6 weeks, I pumped a bit and my boyfriend did a feed now and then so I could catch up with much needed sleep.

My son is still feeding at 2 and a half years :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• pillows of different sizes or a Boppy pillow and also Lansinoh Nip cream which is a life saver. Breast Leaking i am still trying to figure that one out myself.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• this website http://kellymom.com/ .  When hanging around the house I stuffed those gerber prefold cloth diapers in my bra.  Saved the pads for when I went out.  Also stay away from underwire bras(bloged ducts and infection).  Get yourself to some LLL meetings, u can go before baby is born.  no pacifiers or bottles for at least 6wks.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• patience, patience and more patience!! A good book to read is "the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by the La Leche League. It's going to be frustrating at first, he'll breastfeed non stop it seems. A pillow will help, I used a boppy for the first few weeks, then I used it for DD to lay on. And make sure to drink plenty of fluids.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It's always nice to have a 2 wash cloths handy when you breast feed. Drink lot of milk before you feed and after you feed your baby.
    Maru10

Answer by Maru10 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• As far as products, I like Lansinoh nursing pads and breast cream. If you have any latch issues (as I do), Lansinoh also makes a tool called Latch Assist that is great. I also love my Medela Breast Pump. You can start attending a local La Leche League meeting now if you're seeking additional support. They are an excellent resource after birth...even in the middle of the night!

I did the opposite of your plan and put a bassinet in our bedroom for now. I'm due on Halloween, but this is not my first. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Have your breast pump set up and ready to go a couple weeks before your due date-I thought I had plenty of time but went into labor 9 days early. When we got home my breasts were so engorged that my son couldn't latch on, I had to pump a little to soften them up so he could latch. Try figuring out how an electric breast pump works when you've got a hungry, unhappy newborn next to you :) I also had trouble with some cracking and bleeding so make sure you're stocked up on lanolin (I liked Lansinoh best) and I wore the nursing tanks unsnapped when no one was around so my nipples were exposed to the air as much as possible. I would also put a bassinet or something similar in your room--I slept on the couch by DS for a couple nights and DH finally had to ask me to come back and sleep in our room because he missed me. No sense adding another strain to the marriage if you can help it, having a newborn is tough enough :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thanks for all the tips I hope I can go through with it...
    babycakeschris

Comment by babycakeschris (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• #1 advice: Look at OUTPUT not INPUT

If you ever feel like "its just not enough" remember that what goes in must come out!

#2 advice: Growth spurts means that for the first 3 months baby is practically perma-tached. This is NORMAL and a desired thing. growth spurts happen 3 days, 6 days, 9-12 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months etc. Do not panic. It will not last long and after 3 months the period of rapid growth stretches out.

#3 www.kellymom.com www.lli.org and www.drjacknewman.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• call someone whenever you need support. Breastfeeding can be a lot more difficult than you might imagine it to be. Call your nurse, la leche league or anyone who is available for support. Join a breastfeeding group on this site and ask questions as often as you need. I posted "Please give me words of support and encouragement" posts almost every other day for weeks when we were just getting started. Also, know that hurts at first, and that it eventually gets easier and not at all painful.
    Lanisoh cream and disposable breast pads or reusable pads made with hemp (it is super absorbent). Get a nice chair for feeding in (we have a few old chairs that don't recline rock or anything and they worked great for me, just rigged them up with some pillows). The chair was crutial at first. We set the crib up in our room right next to our bed so when she is hungry at night I just bring her into bed with us.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010