Noise coming out of from my 3 year old's ear?????

Since Sunday I have been able to hear a faint squeaky wheel noise coming form my 3 year old's ear. I took him to his Pediatrician but she couldn't hear it and jsut gave me a script. Today we went to the ENT who finally was able to hear it. The ENT took some wax out of my 3 year old's ear but that wasn't the problem we could still hear it. He wants to do some more evasive testing. The ENT is well respected and has lot of experience but has NEVER hear anything like this. Has anyone heard of anything like this. I am totally panicking and stressing because the ENT was talking about blood flow and heart problems. HELP!!!!

snppmommy

Asked by snppmommy at 12:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm thinking on this one. Does your 3yr old hear it also?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Otoacoustic emissions are sounds made by the ear. This is different than ringing in the ear. When someone has ringing in the ear, that person is the only one who can hear the noise. When other people can hear the ringing coming from someone's ear, it is called an `otoacoustic emission.'
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Broadly speaking, there are two types of otoacoustic emissions: Spontaneous Otoacoustic Emissions (SOAEs), which can occur without external stimulation, and Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions (EOAEs), which require an evoking stimulus.

Sounds like your son would fit into the "Spontaneous" category.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:34 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes he hears it too. I am just at such a loss. I am going to look up this Otoacoustic Emmisions thing. I have never hear of it.
    snppmommy

Answer by snppmommy at 12:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2008