wanting to try a vbac but...

With my first pregnancy I had to hace an emergency c section. This time around i want to try a vbac. I talked to my doctor and she said that when we get further down the road if it seems like my body is cooperating then we can try it. If not we will do another c section. I am okay with this plan it sounds reasonable to me. My problem is my husband doesn't agree that I should even try a vbac. He thinks I'm being selfish for wanting to try and putting me and the baby at risk. I don't think he is wrong, i see his side too but is it really thay wrong of me to want to do this. If my doctor didn't think it was even remotely an opyion for me she wouldnt have said what she did.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 6:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• look into ICAN for more info to support your case http://www.ican-online.org/.  Know that a planned repeat csection is more dangerous than a VBAC in many cases.  And watch The Business of Being Born with your husband

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have had 2 sections; 1st for failure to progress. With my 2nd child I wanted to try for a vbac. For me it wasn't possible because of my BP. I do feel regret that I wasn't able to have a vaginal birth, but my children were safe, and that's what matters.

Your doctor wouldn't steer you wrong - If it's not safe for you or the baby, she'll tell you. More importantly, WHY does your husband feel the way he does? You said an emergency section - It probably scared him silly. Has he been to your visits with your doctor? Maybe if SHE tells him the risks, or lack of them, he'll be more comfortable with the idea. There's nothing selfish about wanting to experience a vaginal birth - So DON'T let yourself feel that way!

Good luck!
    dianepix

Answer by dianepix at 6:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I really believe that doctors just say that (well if your body is cooperating we'll go ahead with a vbac) anyway to pacify women and really have no intention of actually doing a vbac. Maybe I'm wrong though and probably still a little pissed off at my doctor for not doing my vbac that he said he would do. Although I don't know anyone who has actually had a successful vbac with a doctor at a hospital (at least not recently). But in any case, I think your husband should read a little bit about it first before saying that. A c-section carries more risks than a vbac.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When your husband carries the baby for nine to ten months, has morning sickness, and then has to be the one in the stirrups maybe his opinion will matter. VBAC's do pose risks and you may end up with a repeat c-section anyway, but it is way cheaper to do because it isn't major surgery unless your previous c-sec scar rips open again from the contractions.This RARELY happens though and most of the time a VBAC can be successful. If your doctor is comfortable allowing you to try I think that's great. You always know the c-section is there IF you need it. Not sure what exactly hubby's hang up is, but he's not the one delivering the baby you are.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Maybe you should have your husband read the ACOG's new position on VBAC, declaring that it poses less risk that a repeat c-section and that it is even safe for a woman having 2 previous c-sections to have a VBAC.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• "Cooperating"? Like how??
    Why did you have the emergency?

Most women are safer to have a VBAC than a repeat cesarean so you are more likely to fit into this majority.
    Your husband might not know this-- or he may know more about your condition than we do. ;-)
    Tell about the reason for the surgery--
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• So some of you have asked why i had an emergency c section...it was because I was in labor and had pitocin and my labor wasn't progressing. so when baby started to finally drop down it put her heart in distress
    And ny doctor came rushing in and rushed me into the or. My doctor said it was due to a short umbilical cord. She also said it shouldnt be a problem this time though.
    Bamzakarat

Comment by Bamzakarat (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• So how are you supposed to cooperate? ( eh. As if you weren't last time. )

When are you due?
    Have you been researching VBACs?
    (I have plenty of info to share...)

Regarding your question, I think that if you don't research and consider a VBAC it is more "selfish" because natural is safer. Do you want a VBAC? If you want to think about it and check out some groups, get info , help, etc., let me know!
    :-)

And regarding your doctor, I certainly would be very skeptical, looking out for my well-being after the "cooperating" comment etc. This issue is not so much about health and safety for Mothers and Babies as it is about politics, money, convenience. Unfortunately.
    You are growing a human, you shouldn't have to deal with that crud. There are very important things in your life to truly consider. No games, please. !

Best wishes.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2010