How old is too old to breastfeed?

Just looking for different opionions on this one. Bashers moms fear not. All opinions are welcome.

ocielee

Asked by ocielee at 6:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is up to Mom and baby.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When you feel that you are done breastfeeding. I breast feed till they seemed ready for the cup at about 6 months but I did not have alot of milk. I see women that are feeding their older kids (like over a year) and I just think that is a little long. But if you are happy with it it does not bother me!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• personally I say when those little jokers get teeth but definately 1 year, older than that is just weird to me...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When they can unbutton your blouse and/or ask for it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Personally I think a year is too old, but definately anything over a year.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When your LO grows a beard. :O

No jking...really...when a mom and baby are done. Until then it is none of anyone else's damn business.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• However old the mom and baby feel is right for them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree with the "whenever mom and baby feel it is right" group. However, if you are going to extend your breast feeding you're going to have to harden up and grow a tough skin because some people are going to have problems past one year. I nursed for 13 months and wouldn't change any of it.

Whenever we make choices for our families that are outside of the mainstream trends we have to be prepared to get looked at cross eyed and to defend those choices if need be.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When mom and baby feel is is time to stop. I have an interesting journal post about what the age would be for humans based on various different factors being compared to wild animals who truly self wean and it is anywhere between 3-7 years old depending on the factors you look at. My first weaned at 18 months due to my second pregnancy and my second weaned at 35 months. It is absolutely NO ONE Else's business and just about all health organizations recommend AT LEAST 2 years old so lets get rid of the antiquated views of 6-12 months being too old ladies.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Whenever the Mom and Baby feel it is the right time to stop. There are way too many people who make a huge deal out of breastfeeding yet people let their kids carry around pacifiers and bottles until they are three or four. My kids have nursed until 2.5 and then self weaned. I will breastfeed our new baby until he is ready to stop as well. God intended for Mothers to breast feed.,
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010