I've seen some answers in a question titled "you or him" and it made me wonder...

Why would both you and your dh decide to be "fixed" after children? Why not just one or the other person? It just left me wondering if one was worried that if they ever split up the other could go off and have children with someone else. So what was your reason if you and your partner decided to have this done together. This question is not for people who are in second marriages and had already done this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• probably to be EXXTRA sure that there is not another pregnancy ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• because nothing is 100%... so if both people have it done that pretty much guarantees that no more pregnancies will occur...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• what sweetpea said! My co-workers parents got pregnant 3 times through BC failures. one being a Vasectamy!!..if you dont want any more kids what way is there to be mor sure! Besides no more sex!! :)
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• IDK. I know a couple in which BOTH of them were "fixed" and they still got pregnant again. To quote Jurassic Park "Nature can find a way." or something along those lines. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Why is this in religion? Just curious how it pertains.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• & BELIEFS. My question is asking why couples would do this. Why they believe in this? lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

I only asked because I didn't get the point. It seems more relationship related to me. Thanks for the vote down though.

To answer your question. Because it is more efficient. Both my dh and I are fertile. I got preg. on the patch and using condoms. I also got preg. immediately after stopping the shot. Supposedly it doesn't happen for 3 mnths. It is more likely to not allow any failed prevention if you are both fixed. How ever tubal by it's self can fail;. A vasectomy by itself can reverse itself. It is just safer, and more precaution. Not to mention if they definitely don't want more kids it protects them from that in the event of a second marraige.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When my dad got a vasectomy my mom refused to get it because she didn't agree to it to begin with but, she wanted to have the option of having children in the future if her and my dad didn't work out. My husband and I have chosen not to get "fixed" because we may want to have more children in the future.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I know of a few kids who were conceived after one or the other parent was fixed (and no, there was no cheating involved). Nothing is 100% foolproof.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My dh and I are both fixed.  Him for obvious reasons but I had to have a hysterectomy 3 years later for medical reasons.  If I could have foreseen that I would have told him not to bother lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010