Thin woman bumped off plane to make room for overweight latecomer.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38414189/ns/today-todaytravel/

The woman, a petite 5-foot-4, 110 pounds, said she was flying standby when agents sold her the last seat available on the plane. She had already stowed her bags and was settling into her seat when an attendant told her she had to leave immediately.

When she was told her seat was needed because a late-arriving passenger’s girth was too wide for just one, she had some questions.

“It didn’t seem right that I should leave to accommodate someone who had only paid for one seat,” the woman told the Sacramento Bee. But she was even more upset because, she said, airline staff acted rudely and inconsiderately when she asked for a further explanation.

This is the same airline that was previously knocked for booting off a passenger for being too large.

What do you think?

Bezu

Asked by Bezu at 6:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38414189/ns/today-todaytravel/

I think this is the pc movement moving too far in the other direction. The man was late. That makes it too bad for him, imo. But the airline was probably so afraid of offending another overweight person and getting bad pr that they kicked off the thin woman.
    Bezu

Comment by Bezu (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Bezu

• I think they need to make seats bigger, it would be a lot more comfortable for more passengers, and there wouldn't need to be "bumping off planes". They had already sold her the seat, and shouldn't have asked her to get off the plane.
    mrsflawless

Answer by mrsflawless at 6:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think the airline is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Man it is sad that the airline has to worry that people will sue, no matter what.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That Airline should be grounded.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• that's a crock!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yikes, that's a tough one. I feel for the overweight persons humiliation for needing 2 seats but I also think once a stand by is seated they shouldn't be asked to leave.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• what do I think?
    I think in our PC world, the responsible individual is paying for the clueless again.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• "what do I think?
    I think in our PC world, the responsible individual is paying for the clueless again. "

please explain this statement.
    Anonymous

• I think they did it because the overweight person was a 14 year old and they didn't want to embarrass him. Sad, sad situation!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010