What is the best way to talk to your teenager about good and bad decisions, especially when it comes to friends?

Best friend made a poor choice, got in trouble, has recieved counseling since and his stepmom assures me and my sons dad that son's friend has changed. My son wasn't allowed to see this friend and has made my son upset, sad and act out by getting poor grades on his last marking report card. My son's dad went out to eat and spent time talking to this friend and has decided to let this friend have a second chance with hanging out with my son. Info.... his friends parents were both in jail for drugs and dad will be getting out soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like a very tough situation. Perhaps invite the friend to your home for dinner and a movie or welcome him to go on outings with you/son, any together time and see how his behaviour is while he is around you. Once you feel comfortable (if you feel comfortable) then allow your son to do things alone with his friend.
    GL!
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 7:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Tell what a good friend is. What a good friend does. And, WHAT A GOOD FRIEND IS NOT!
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 12:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• TRUST THEM TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION, BUT YOU WILL STEP IN WHEN DANGER PRESENTS ITSELF.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Open honest no sugar coating Maybe this friend could benefit from yours and your sons father drawing some attention to him. every kid that comes through my house knows you screw up puts you on probation which means you can only visit my kids HERE if you blow it until you earn my trust again. maybe that child could use your support and know that somebody actually cares whether or not he screws up!
    MissyJo68

Answer by MissyJo68 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2008