Please, any and all information or wisdom about Gestational Diabetes???

I was told yesterday that I have gestational diabetes. Just want to hear from others who have had it. Did it go away? Do you have to cut the sugar all together? Do they induce early? Do they do a c-section? Any info would be great.

kricky422

Asked by kricky422 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can answer any questions you have if you message me. For now ill just answer the ones you listed. Mine did go away after my son, you have to get very very tight with your sugar intake but you cant cut it completely, they induced me a week early cause an ultrasound said he was 10lb 3oz. It lied, he was 8lb 8oz at birth, And my body wasnt ready to have him and didnt like the induction so i failed to progress, and he got stressed after 37 hours of contractions so i ended up with a c section. It does not have to be that way though. Dont let that scare you. And dont let them induce for size reasons. The estimates are usually off. Message me if you have more questions..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i had it with my second pregnancy....i had to test my blood sugar 4 times a day...right when i got up and an hour after i ate breakfast lunch and dinner....u really have to watch what you eat....any kind of cereal first thing in the morining is outta the question unless you get the diabetic one....i wasnt induced early but i did have him 3 weeks early....i had a vaginal delivery....they will test ur blood sugars while you are in labor and they will test the babys after.....you dont have to cut our sugar completly you just have to cut it way down and dont eat it first thing....i was told to eat for breakfast an egg and sausage and tortilla...tortillas have less carbs then bread.....just loook up what a gestitional diabetic can eat....you also have to look at carbs not just sugar because carbs are sugar.....they say you can have a cup of coffee or a glass of soda but no more then one a day...its not that bad....heck having to...
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• eat right for the baby and for you is a good thing......i lost 14lbs and lost more after having him...dr wasnt worreid cuz i was eating right and loseing weight becasue the baby was geting healthy food and i was helping my body by loseing the weight.....just watch ur sugars and you and baby will do fine
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had GD with 4 out of my 5 pregnancies, so I know it well! With my 2nd and 3rd it was diet controlled, with my 4th and 5th I ended up having to take an oral medication twice/day, but I never needed insulin. Mine went away after my pregnancies. Your OB should send you to a nutritionist to talk to you about your diet and what type of foods are okay/not okay. I didn't eat any "sweets" and had to watch what fruits I ate and when I chose to eat them (no fruit in the morning). No fruit juices, no soft drinks, no candy, etc. For treats I got some sugar free popsicles and I learned to make some low sugar desserts with splenda.
    My 3rd was induced at 38 weeks, my 4th and 5th I had scheduled c-sections at 39 weeks (but with my 5th I went into labor the morning of the csection anyway) due to concerns over size - but my largest baby was the one I didn't have GD with! Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Gestational diabetes is highly over diagnosed and the only "concern" is a larger than normal baby. Now if you have a hidden case of diabetes mellitus that can be serious. I refer back to this article, posted by a midwife friend here on cm, when discussing GD.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=997295

jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Jupitdr84 took my answer!

Just wanted to add that when docs suspect a large baby, they are more likely to scare you into inducing. If you induce when your body is not ready, then you have a high chance of ending up with a c-section. A Bishop score is used to determine the likelyhood of an induction working. There is a chart towards the end of the article.

squish

Answer by squish at 2:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2010