Rice cereal?

My son is 10 weeks old. He is eating 8 ounces per feeding every couple of hours but just never seems satisfied (he is on formula). I was wondering what you other moms out there thought about adding a teaspoon or so of rice cereal to his bottle here and there. My mom and DH's mom keep asking me when I am going to put him on it but I'm not sure he's old enough. Any thoughts from the experienced moms out there would be much appreciated!

EthansMom519

Asked by EthansMom519 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 15 weeks. He was the same way at 8-10 weeks. Everyone kept telling me to put cereal in his bottle, but I felt that he wasnt ready. It really only lasted for 2 weeks that he acted hungry alot, I think it is juat a growth spurt. He is now one month older and is starting to eat a little less. He was eation 5 oz every 2-3 hours, he is now eating 5 oz evry 4 hours. Everything I have read says to wait until 4 months for cereal. 6 months is better, but if at 4 months you think your baby is ready then give it a try.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Call pediatrician and tell her/him what you feel the signs are that he is not satisfied and get his/her opinion. Most babies do not need cereal so young. Not a good idea to put the cereal in his bottle.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Usually 4 months is the age for cereal but if he's eating 8 ounces already he may need it... My daughter is 9 months and has never had 8 ounces at once.. He seems like he may need more than just formula
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would talk to the doctor. There might be something else going on. My boys were all hungry little men, but they never drank 8 oz of formula in one sitting.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• For those of you who want to bash me for feeding him formula, I have to be on hormone medicine that can harm him and transfers into my milk. Its not a choice whether I take the medicine... Not that I have to explain any choice I make with MY child to you in the first place. So, before you make a rude comment, maybe you should think first. Breastmilk is not always an option for everyone. If anyone has anymore nasty comments, keep them to yourselves.
    EthansMom519

Comment by EthansMom519 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Cereal is not digestible in babies. They do not have the digestive maturity or the proper enzymes. You'd just be making poop and likely cause constipation and gas from the overload of iron especially because of the formula is already over saturated with iron. Thus if you give formula you will be encouraging LESS calorie consumption not more. It would be like you taking a fiber pill..you won't be hungry because you'd feel full but you won't be consuming the needed calories if you were growing rapidly like a baby does. Just feed more formula -- but be sure you either buy pre mixed or mix the powder properly..

FYI if you wanted to be sure your medication is truly imcompatible with breastfeeding consult Dr. Hales book or website. Doctors know very little about lactation compatability and tend to be oversimplistic
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• FYI growth spurts happen approximately: 3 days, 6 days, 9-12 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months etc. etc.

So your baby is right in range. Needing to eat a lot is what they need to rapidly grow their bodies and brains. Ever wonder why teenagers eat their parents out of house and home? Growth spurts require a LOT of energy...for teenagers is the contents of the entire fridge for babies its breastmilk/formula.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My cousin was the same way. I think right around that time he started having rice cereal. He was almost 12 pounds at birth....I couldn't imagine what you are going through. I'm honestly not sure putting it in the bottle will satisfy him. Didn't work with mine when we tried it LOL Could you try to start spoon feeding him? Or introduce a different formula? IDK
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I believe 10 weeks is a growth spurt time. I would never ever put cereal in a bottle. So solids at all for that matter. Solids should not be started until 4 months at the earliest and should be fed by spoon only. You can always up the ounce amount per feeding. If he is still acting like that in a week, call your pedi.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wait, i didnt read that he was eating 8oz per serving, dont bump that up..lol..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010