Controversial? Certainly! A solution for Cali.'s financial woes? Possibly...might this be a way to recover some economic footing?

Oakland Gives Final OK For Pot Farms
City First In Country To Allow Large-Scale Pot Cultivation

. -- Oakland has become the first city in the country to authorize large-scale industrial pot cultivation.

The Oakland City Council voted Tuesday morning in favor of a plan to license four production plants where marijuana would be grown, packaged and processed for medical use. Two members of the council abstained from the vote.

Under the plan, the plants would not be limited in size, but they would be heavily taxed and regulated.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/24413136/detail.html

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Taxed and regulated- I'm all for the it.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• don't quote me, but I believe that Colorado has something like that. we've got marijuana stores all over the place- medical, but it's getting like appliance stores. 'come here for the best deal in town' ads.
    but don't ask me, I don't touch that stuff- I'm forgetful enough as it is thank you!
    Anonymous

• I think it's a great idea.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Anon--that is funny! I didn't know that about Colorado---it will be an interesting story to follow! (And I don't partake either--I am already pretty sure there is a monster in my closet and certain herbal seasonings would probably make it come out! ) LOL
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The illegal use is absolutely unfathomable in terms of controling. IMHO, make it legal, establish an age limit just like with drinking and tax the bejeezus out of it. That tax income could go along way to helping this state..
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• And eliminate or reduce the criminal element (illegal) associated with the drug culture.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No kidding Sister! Our jails are full of mellow stoners who were arrested for possession--get them out and farming! The prisons can keep the real bad guys, and a nice harvest can be brought in!
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't understand how California got to be in a place of financial woes. It had ocean front property to creat it's own industry with. It had Mountainous lands for tourism and industry. It had some of the best agricultural lands in the world. Silicon Valley was a boom town for years. Wine industry...it's such a shame that such a wonderful opportunity the U.S. had that used to be called God's Country is now trying to get by-by selling and taxing drugs.
    WTH happed to beautiful, wonderful California?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm moving to Oakland!LOL I do not partake for the legal aspect of it! I would smoke RESPONCIBLY if it were legal. Just like I can crack open a beer at the end of the day why can't someone smoke a joint/bowl etc etc at the end of the day? Age limit OF COURSE!!! Can't smoke and drive, no public intoxication just like alcohol! Why not? Anyway for medical reasons alone it should be federally legal!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I guess I agree with the Liberals on this one, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010