I find this type of thinking disgusting.

What are your thoughts on people who choose faith healing?
http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg/db_/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=6F99E124AA3E2FC326FC9A76C4CA39DF?contentguid=154GyoeF&full=true#display

katrinad

Asked by katrinad at 7:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think it should be illegal to deny a minor medical treatment. A few years back we had a young girl in our area die because her parents decided to treat her diabetes with faith instead of insulin. they felt they were within their rights.This is blatant child abuse! They should not be allowed to hide under the umbrella of religious freedom.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• that is so sad :( i hope the parents dont get that little girl back. and i hope she is getting the medical treatment she needs.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think they are entitled to their opinion I would prefer a hospital.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The constitution grants religious freedom, but how far can we extend that freedom? I know if someone commited murder and said God told them to, it wouldn't be acceptable. Or if they made human sacrifices in the name of their religion, it wouldn't fly. How far will we allow religion to go in the name of treating children?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would never choose it for myself, but I am not about to open the door of telling one religion how to handle the issue which in turn leads to others telling people they cannot use herbal medicine, choose when or if to vax (or how far to spread out the shots), or make other decisions regarding extreme medical measures. Do you want a world where the doctor has more say on whether or not a child can be on life support than their parents do? How about one where the state can force you to medicate a child that is being successfully treated with dietary changes alone?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I do beleive in some cases it may work, but if it obviously isn't like this wasn't. Then go to the doctor, especially when it's a minor in question.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I believe in healing but I also believe in using wisdom. Apostle Luke was a physician himself. He healed with hands and by profession.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think cases such as this one are difficult for many. While the parents have the right to their own beliefs the child also has the right to life saving medical treatment. At what point does one person's rights override anothers? In thi case however, it seems that a law was in place to protect the rights of a minor in cases of medical treatment.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am all for it. Do I think it works? I think it CAN work... Positive thinking and Faith Healing are both basic forms of Magick, which I have a great deal of faith in myself. However, beyond that belief, I feel that the parents (or patient themselves) should have the right to have 100% control over their healthcare choices - and that includes refusing medical intervention when they don't want... Who am I to say their beliefs are wrong? What if refusing that medical treatment is what is best for them eternally? Or if accepting it is damning them... I don't believe it, but who am I to say they are right or wrong - and who is anyone else?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think as long as it isn't harming anyone it should be up to the parents. BUT at the same time if it isn't helping I think that the parents should have gotten help for her from an outside source. It is a very hard situation. This is a 7 month old child that could not make the decision not to get medical care for herself. Not an adult who could refuse.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2010