Is registering my home for a daycare make enough money ?

I am currently working full time, but i have been thinking about turning my home into a daycare for a few months now. I really wanna be able to be home with my son more and i love children and the idea sounds great to me but i would love some advice how to start and also how much money can be made doing this. me and my sons dad both work full time and if i make a decision like this i wanna be able to be sure im gonna make good money. and also, how do you get paid? is it per child and every week or month??? anyone that can help me or give advice i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

rosie84

Asked by rosie84 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• It really depends on a number of factors. I would call around to some of the local daycare centers and home daycares to get some prices. I would set the prices right in the middle. For my area, that would be about $90-$100 per week per child. At first, you may only have one child so your income would be about $400 a month, but you also have to consider that you are saving about $400 a month for your son's care. Once you build up some clients and you decide that you want to take in 5 kids then that would be about $2000 a month. However, before doing any of this, you will need to find out your state's laws and regulations. Some states require special training, home inspection, background check of all that live in your house, etc. Also, check with your state about food cost reimbursement and child care assistance. Some states offer this. What state do you live in and I can check?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i live in albuquerque new mexico. Thanks!!
    rosie84

Comment by rosie84 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you want to open an daycare, please do so because you love being a positive roll model for children. Don't just do it for the money. If you just do it for the money, then it won't be very successful because parents can see right through that.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010