Getting into a routine?

My son is a little over four months old, and I have helped him get to sleep his whole life. I have to what they call "burrito wrap" him for be time, or he can't fall asleep. (I don't wrap his legs by the way. Just his arms. He's to big to actually "burrito" him.) He is to big for his bassinet, and I want him to start sleeping in his crib. I was just wondering if anyone knew the secret to getting him to self soothe, and how I can incorporate it into our routine. Also I was wondering how often should he be napping, and sleeping at night. Also do you have any tips on stimulating his mind, and his movement.

kibadin

Asked by kibadin at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, there are a lot of different opinions (some quite heated) on this.

I personally liked most of the advice offered in the book "Healthy sleep habits, Happy child." but you really are going to have to decide on a sleep training method that you and your family are most comfortable with.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Continue to do what you are doing, but lay him in the crib instead of the bassinet. This will be an adjustment already, so soothe him when he needs it. He should know when he's tired and nap 2-3 times a day, and at this age a 5-hour stretch at night is considered sleeping thru the night.

As far as stimulating him, he's only be here 4 months, so even the textures of couches, walls, plastic, glass frames, soft toys can be stimulating. Take him outside once or twice a day, even just sitting on the porch pointing out the wind thru the trees, clouds, birds, etc. Talk to him a lot. Pick him up and walk thru the house telling him what things are. Pots, pans, soap, utensils, cups, etc. It sounds like he has a good mommy already to ask such concerned questions. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would say trust your gut. You know your child better then anyone. As far as sleeping routines it varies by child. My oldest she cryed it out and I couldn't go in or that made it worse. My youngest couldn't do that. I had to sit within in reach and then each night move father away. I didn't start real routines until we started "solids", that was about 6 months. And by then they had routines of sorts all ready.
    Ways to stimulate. Sing, talk, read. Give him room to wiggle and a few toys to try for and wiggle with. Go outside, a little splash time in a pool or bath tub, feel the grass, smell the flowers.
    What to expect the toddler years is a good read.
    But most of all listen to your child will tell you what you need to know. Listen to him.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Babies should be helped to sleep, that's how nature intended. The united states culture has a very bizarre fixation on making babies sleep alone when they aren't designed that way. Plus sleep patterns change a lot in the first year because of growth spurts, teething, and milestones. These are not "bad" babies. They are normal babies. That's why people have such difficulty. The VAST majority of babies need comforting and proximity to sleep whether that is now or later...99% of parents do night comforting. You will miss these moments because they do not last long.

But here are several articles about baby sleep from /www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp">Dr. Sears. and also Dr. Jay Gordan (a good read even if it doesn't quite to apply to your sleeping situation, the techniques are sound)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• stupid cafemom and no link button: Dr Sears Sleep Articles
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you want to stimulate mind and movement, invest in a traditional sling (ring sling or ergo) or wrap (moby or some other non stretch) or MeiTai (asian style) -- don't use the crotch danglers like bjorns -- and wear your baby. It encourages muscle development and a lot of babies will sleep when they are tired as you do chores. It's a win win. Baby gets proximity, comfort, and stimulation and you get to be hands free and the ability to move around easily.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010