Any birthday ideas for a lady at church turning 88?

We want to have fun and much laughter but remain tasteful. She is very special and served at the White House during Ronald Reagan presidency. Spent many years in Hawaii and now lives in AZ.

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow Lucky Lady! DH's auntie would have been 88 on the 24th! How I Miss her. Hope she has a Great birthday!! Anything will make her Happy! Nothing beasts the Gift of your time & your Love!! Anything from 88 years ago? Like a paper of what would have been on it that date! Good Luck Have Fun! Please Hug her for me!! Even if you don't tell her! It would be like I get to hug Auntie Christina ! Thank you!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• When my aunt turned 88, we had friends and family, a cake, pictures all around of her life, and just lots of fellowship. She was surprised that we remembered and loved the day.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wow this sounds so nice! How about a slideshow of presidents who have been in office since she was born? How about a party with things from the year she was born (would take some research I know, but I'm thinking simple, like everyone wear hats if that was the in thing then, etc).

Or if you want less of a theme and just want to have a nice party, how about a tea party? Or a garden party, with members of the congregation bringing bouquets from their gardens to place on each table? What about just ordering leis for everyone (not a crazy Party City or Oriental Trading - style luau, but just nice leis, I wonder if you could even get them made of fresh flowers...?).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 7:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My grandmother loved the blanket I crocheted for her. Another favorite was a large picture that had a collage of old photos of her loved ones. Most of the people in them were long gone but much loved.
    As far as parties my grandmother loved her surprized party with all of us. It was the only time I saw some of the oldest memeber of the family. She spent the time talking and playing cards. And eating some of her favorite foods, and family favorites. All homemade. She talked about it for years.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Maybe have a party like a few had mentioned and then have ppl come up like a toast and tell everyone 1 thing that they admire about her or something she did that will stick in your mind forever.
    sassymomntx1961

Answer by sassymomntx1961 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If she spent time in Hawaii why not have a luau style party. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    mommabh3

Answer by mommabh3 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wow such great ideas.... Keep em coming
    Librarylady60

Comment by Librarylady60 (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Ladies, you all have added so much as we begin to try and make this a special day for a special lady. You have shared your heart by your comments and I thank you so much. Angellinda , I will give her a hug from you, she will love when i tell her what you said. Her husband is 96 and I take them to exercise M,W, and F and they are so cute, they force us young ones to keep going!
    Librarylady60

Comment by Librarylady60 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2010