First Flight..

I have never flown in an airplane before...and while I am not really scared (okay a little nervous) I just wonder what to expect. (I have been told about the ear popping from cabin pressure). What else to expect and what are some good tips for travelling by plane?

heathermarie32

Asked by heathermarie32 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Are you flying out of Raleigh-Durham? That is where I fly out of. Don't take food or drinks through the security check. Take off your belt (if you wear one) and your shoes and put in the tray or they will stop you and ask you to. If you have an ipod or something like that, just listen to music on the plane and read a book. Wear comfortable clothes, but you have less "issues" if you don't dress down too much. I fly Southwest every chance I get. You board by alpha/numeric but there aren't any assigned seats. Everyone tries to sit in the front, so I head right to the back. I have had the entire set of 3 seats to myself because no one comes to the back if the plane isn't full.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You may not get the ear popping,I never did. As you taxi down the runway you can feel movement.but once you're up,you feel no sense of movement.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Hmmm, where are you going and how long is the flight? You have to go through security so wear easy on and off shoes, don't pack any thing more than 4 ounces in your carry on.
    Bring a book or trashy mag to read. No liquid in your purse to carry on either. Other than that check you airlines web site..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Just a little over and hour from NC to NY.
    heathermarie32

Comment by heathermarie32 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Get to the airport 2 hours early. This gives you time to check in, the personell at the check in desks are very helpful and will guide you through the process. Be prepared to be patient in the security line, have your ticket and ID (liscense or passport) available. If you are checking luggage be ready to hand over more money during check in. Buy your water after you have gone through security. Find your gate and either get something to eat or sit and read. I always keep gum on hand in case my ears feel like they want to pop. Enjoy the flight. I know this might sound nuts but I always say a prayer as we are taxiing down the runway for a safe flight. I fly a lot and it has worked for a long time.
    Fiona111

Answer by Fiona111 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You can feel turbulence while you are in the air but it is normal and try not to let it bother you. I fly from VA, to NYC, to Maine several times a year and we always run into turbulence and you can feel the plan drop a little. I have never had any truly scary incidences. You will be fine. Ask your doc for a valium if your worried. They will give you a few.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010