Is it really all that dishonest to have a kitten in a "no pets" apartment?

I mean, is it really all that big of a deal? My husband just came home with our son from the park and they have a kitten with them. We would love to keep her, but our lease says no pets. Our neighor has a dog though! And she would be inside only.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Your landlord WILL find out about the cat. Cats love to lay in the windows and you can't stop them.....and one day your landlord will walk by..... The right thing to do is to ask if you can keep the cat, if they say no then you can't keep it. When you get your next place look for one that is pet friendly.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• yes it's dishonest. Theres more to this than you realize. keep in mind that people rent in these places often to avoid pets like cats because of severe allergies. don't kid yourself into thinking that it would all stay within your place because things go airborne. You could easily end up responsible for causing someone severe allergic reactions that can potentially lead to death.
    Anonymous

• Just because your neighbor is dishonest doesn't mean you have to be also.

Answer by older at 8:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If the landlord finds out, he can either take you to court to legally evict you, or (if he's nice) charge you a pet deposit fee. I'd ask him if you can have the kitty though. It's always best to be honest.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• In our complex they would evict anyone who has any pets. I guess it's all about what risk you are willing to take.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you want to run the risk of your family being kicked out, sure keep the animal.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Most landlords are serious about the "No Pet Policy", but never try to sneak the cat in. Go to your landlord and see what he/she says. I live in a house and I have two dogs. Go to your landlord and explain your situation, you never know.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would do it. I would also be prepared to take care of any damage the kitten may cause.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If the lease says "no pets" then yes, it's most certainly dishonest.
    StrollerStrider

Answer by StrollerStrider at 8:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i would sue you if it were my house and i told you no pets, cats especially!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2010