So, I had a job interview today...

and I got the job! I thought I was interviewing for an assistant director's position at a daycare but they offered me the Director's position. I am beyond excited, however, I am a little scared too. I have a lot to learn and I think my biggest obstacle with be, being in charge of 7-8 employees. I use to be a lead teacher and I was in charge of my assistant teacher, but I have never held a position where I was "the boss". She told me that I will need to be friendly but stern with them. So, my question is, if you have ever been in a position where you had employees under you, can you give me some words of advice? I really don't want to mess this up.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• Be a hard ass in the beginning and ease up when needed. If you go in being everyone's friend, they will eat you up and spit you out.

HOORAY for YOU... GREAT Job Momma!
    snoopy doing happy dance Pictures, Images and Photos
    Doing the happy dance for you! My husband just got a huge promotion, so we know how excited you are!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Congrats on the job!!! You probably will screw up somewhere along, no matter how hard you try not to. When that happens, don't beat yourself up. You're human. Just apologize, be done with it, your employees will appreciate that you care about them, and you will have even more of their respect. Best wishes on your new venture!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• pick your battles! don't make a big deal out of anything small or they will hate you, besides the fact that they probably all think they deserved the position over you.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No real advice except dont pick best friends outta there, be friendly but youll prob. be better off not hanging out with your employees, and make sure your consistent. Gonna write one up for xyz, write the next one up for the same thing!! CONGRATS on the job.....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Keep in mind, you are their boss, not their friend. If you are too friendly with them, they will not understand when you need to remind them of their duties. Be firm, but fair.

Congrats on the job!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Great advice from sleepingbeautee! I would also say that it really helps to be a good listener. Whatever someone says to you, esp if they come to you complaining or asking for something you can't/won't give them, start your answer by validating something they had to say. Then, make sure you are clear about how things stand. Like, if someone asks for a raise, say "I understand that it is hard to make ends meet with this salary. At this time, however, this is all we are able to offer you."

oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You rock!!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Go to the library, and check out The One Minute Manager.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Another great book is "How To Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 3:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• None of the teachers qualified for the position, so I don't think I will have to worry about that. (At least I hope not!)
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010