What is the best strategy when tackling a mountain (literally) of laundry. (Kind of embarrasing)

Okay so here's the deal. I am super super super lazy when it comes to laundry.(laundry is the devil) What we need gets washed when we need it. There fore I have a literal mountain of laundry. Blankets from winter, towels, clothes, clothes that don't fit anymore, dog blankets, baby blankets we don't need, rugs... Yeah like DFCS would have a field day in my garage. There is a Mountain in there a pile in the kitchen by the Garage door and a pile in my room. PLus the normal scattered pieces in the kids room. How do I confront this. I HAVE to clean it up. I just do. How do I make this manageable.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe you could take two hours a day to start throwing things out. It might feel insurmountable because you own too much.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 8:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you know someone who could use the clothes that the kids out grew and let them know you have them but they need to be washed they may take them any way.especially if they really could use the clothes.Go to freecycle your local group and see if anyone needs anything else you have that needs to be washed and let them know that ahead of time and they may still take the items.That might be a way to get rid of alot of it.W/ the rest you have go to a laundry mat early in the day and if needed have someone watch the kids if thier younger and cant help you a lil..Take baskets for each family member and put the clean clothes in thier baskets and when you get home everyone takes thier basket to thier room and put all the clothes up and then yall celebrate w/ pizza like at cici all you can eat.
    sassymomntx1961

Answer by sassymomntx1961 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sort into piles. Take whatever is too small and give it away.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Go through it all and sort it into piles first. Towels in one, blankets in another, baby stuff, etc. Wash first what you need right away and then keep going down to the stuff that is not that important or necessary for right now, like blankets used just for winter or clothes that you are going to give away. Keep going until the mountain is gone.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• and start making yourself do it! it's just something that everyone has to do. you don't want you or your kids stinking, you might not smell it but other's can.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wow! Grab a pile and start throwing them in.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd start by throwing out the items you said you don't need. Then I'd go from room to room washing whatever was in that room. I don't sort by colors. I wash everything (except blankets and towels) in cold water. I think sorting into different piles is a waste of time. One load at a time, momma. :)
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Oh I know at least half of it could be washed and donated but I don't know if I want to take the time to wash and donate. I kinda want to just throw it out but that seems wrong so I hold onto it and never get around to washing it to donate it! It's a vicious circle!!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sort. Have a pile of blankets, one of towels and sheets, dark clothes, and so forth. Every day wash clothes. Wash one other pile, or part of a pile in addition. So you should plan on at least two loads of laundry a day. A load of clothes, and another load. If one day of clothes takes more than one load, then do the dark load of clothes and toss a few towels in the light load.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Spend a few hours at the laundry mat and get everything done at once so you start fresh minus the clothes everyone is wearing. Then do laundry at least once a week til you are done with the amount you have on a weekly basis. Get rid of clothes you no longer want or fit.

Or do what we do when we get behind and spend several days doing laundry in the house until done but to keep up you need to do all the laundry on a regular basis. If you do that then the mountain won't grow. And trust me I know how hard it is. We were taking care of my grandmother who went through 10+ pairs of pants, 10+ shirts, 10+ sets of bedding all in a week and she was nearly bed bound at the end but she would go through that amount of clothes per week because she was totally incontinent and would wet through her diapers.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010