Are your kids in a Charter School?

What do you like about it?
What don't you like?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in

• Mine is.

We chose it because our kid is really smart and was bored in the "best" school in the school district. He was not challenged and was always in trouble for not paying attention. 90% of the kids in the school district were below grade level in reading and most are 2 grade levels below in math. We also noticed that the teachers taught to the lowest level so all the kids understood, but that only marginalized our child.

In his charter school the kids move to the level they are capable of, so they move up or down up to two levels. So each kid gets the right education for them and their abilities.

Also every family is required to do 40 hours of community service a year a kid, less for families with more kids and single parents. So there is a lot of parent involvement.

There are things that we don't like, but they are really negligible in comparison to the quality of an education he is getting.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He will be this year,for autism. I'm hoping for more specialized care instead of pushing for putting him in regular ed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Nope! My daughter is getting a fantastic, public education. If you are in Chicago, send me a message and I will be happy to help you navigate the system

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• no... my son is in public school.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• charter schools ARE public schools. you mean a government school.
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Charter schools are privately run with public funds; some are run by for profit companies, others are run by non-profit companies. In Chicago, many of the charter school teachers lack the education and certifications required by the public schools. My daughter attended this public, K-6 school: http://www.decaturclassical,org/ and attends this six year high school: http://www.wyoung.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2010