What do you think of pulls up training pants?

When you started to train your little ones on the potty did you use pull ups or go start to big boy or big girl underwear. We are starting to potty train my son and he went pee pee in the potty for the first today and I was thinking about getting him pulls so he gets to use to something like underwear and then when he was fully potty train i was going to switch and put him in underwear but some moms are telling me I should just use the underwear because the pulls up are just like diaper and they will get confused. So what did you guys use.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used pullups on Kat...she loved the fact that she could pull them up like undies...I recommend the kind that reseal on the sides - makes it SO easy. Target brand was great.
    KatieBellsMom

Answer by KatieBellsMom at 8:20 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• use the underpants. Why progress halfway IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 1 year old wears pull ups..I like the design better lol..She is a nudist so she cant get them off...I dont care about the price if its what works for us :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Mine hasn't reached that age yet, but when he does, I plan on using my cousin's method (she's a mom of 6). She buys them a bunch of underwear with their favorite character on them and asks them to keep batman or nemo or whomever is on the underwear dry. She says if you use pull ups that they catch on that they can pee in them pretty quickly. They may have a couple accidents with normal undies, but when they feel how uncomfortable the wetness is they learn super quick. Good luck! Hope this helps. :)
    EthansMom519

Answer by EthansMom519 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We used the potty training undies. They are thicker than regular undies. That way the feel the wet and they function like regular undies but the extra layers in the crotch can help keep the leaks from getting everywhere as bad. I don't like pull ups because they are so much like diapers. I have tried them briefly on 1 of my 4 kids and some kids I babysat used them. They didn't work for any of these kids because they are essentially diapers that are easier to pull up and down. But there is no consequence of discomfort or wet icky clothes, etc. they don't feel it any different than in a diaper.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I used cloth training pants with rubber out pants. The type of training pants i used were very similar to regular underpants except they had thicker material in the center region. The rubber pants didn't keep all the wet in, but it didn't make a huge wet mess when we had accidents. And he still felt the wet and didn't like it.

My reason for doing this was my niece. My sister over heard her telling a friend "I don't have to use the potty if I don't want to, I wear these" and she showed her friend the pull ups, my sister pulled her in the house and instantly put her in big girl underwear. I decided I wasn't going to even start.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I went right to underwear. No need for pull ups. He was ready and it really only took 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• thanks ladies.
    LoriAnn87

Comment by LoriAnn87 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm of the opinion that pullups are like diapers. We started my DD in pullups for about 2 days and realized that it didn't feel any different to her than a diaper. We moved her into underpants and it worked - she was potty trained really quickly. That's just my experience.

atervin

Answer by atervin at 9:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• when I started potty training my 3 year old we used pull ups. We had to pee pee train her first because she was having a hard time with pooping. After she was pee pee trained we worked on poopy training her. So she was still in pull ups. Once we got her to understand that she needed to poop in the potty and not in her pull ups we took them away. She was still pooping in the pulls as if it were a diaper. A few times of her pooping in her underwear she started pooping in the potty. She did NOT like how it felt in her panties. So we never put pull ups back on her. She also never has wet the bed at night so that was never a problem for us.

lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010