When do you let them "cry it out" and when do you rock them?

jfnsmom

Asked by jfnsmom at 8:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Mine was over two before I let him "CIO"...I prefer to alway rock mine. And I slept with mine, so, no need for any of it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am not a big CIO fan. But it has it's place in my life. My DD is 15 months and still wakes several times a night to nurse. i do go in and nurse her. But today she was tired and I laid her down for a nap. She was nursed and fed and dry, etc. But she cried for a little while up there. But I knew she needed the nap and that is she didn't have it she would be ready for bed too early in the night and her whole schedule would get out of whack. So i let her cry it out. But I wouldn't let an infant CIO.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Rocking did not work well for my son. He needed to be left alone in order to fall asleep. I'm not even sure that I would call it CIO because he usually only cried for less than 2 minutes.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• IMO,when a child is reaching a year,they should be working on self soothing to get to sleep.A child should not be relying on you to hold them til they go to sleep everytime. You do your bed routine,whatever that is for you,and lay them down,tell them mommy is right out here,time to sleep. If they fuss,you go in,talk softly to them,reassure them,and exit,don't pick them up.Repeat as necessary.You'll know the difference between a fussy baby and one in distress.After awhile thy'll realize you mean business and that you haven't disappeared,you're just in the next room,and will settle down.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I let them cry it out!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Don't believe in the cry out, but rocking has always served me well.

Answer by older at 9:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It depends on the cry. There is the "I'm tired and having a hard time getting to sleep" cry and the "mommy, i need you" cry. I know the difference between the two and respond accordingly.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I never let them cry it out. I find that cruel. Rocking does wonders.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:11 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I took my twins off the bottle at night recently and I didn't exactly let them CIO. They were very fussy falling asleep in bed alone the first few night. But I just kept rubbing their backs, giving them their glow worms and talking nicely to them. I refused to pick them up at all. I'd leave, they'd get fussy again, I'd repeat. Eventually they stopped crying at all and now when I lay them down they immediately start getting comfy for sleep. So I don't think you let a kid just scream but you do have to be firm and hold your ground with a new change in a very loving way.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• I NEVER let them CIO... NEVER! There is no reason, ever, to neglect your child!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2010