rules at red lights?

Ok. I know a flashing red means stop and then proceed with caution, but a red light still means stop yes?
I was at an exit ramp where the left & right turns had an small island with bushes in-between them. I was going right. There were 2 right lanes that turn into the two lane road. I was in the left one at the red light & I waited for it to turn green before moving. Now the people in the lane to my right were merging for unless posted you can turn on red in that lane. I had people honking at me & going from behind me to the next lane and then cutting into the "left" right lane.
My question: Was I wrong for waiting for the light? I would be crossing 2 lanes in less than three car lengths to get to the left turn lane & I'd rather do that w/o a car catching up to me at 50mph.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 9:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Travel

• Technically you are supposed to stop but then you can turn. So you were being honked at because you can turn, but you are being safer by not turning - especially w/ the bushes. So, if you felt safe turn if not wait for green.
    atervin

Answer by atervin at 9:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You were in the right. If the area had been deemed safe to pause and continue turning right,there would not have been a stop and go light there.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The rule about turning right on red is "that you MAY turn right on red after making a complete stop". It doesn't say that you HAVE TO turn right on red. It usually only refers to the curb lane and that is if no other cars are approaching. No harm no foul for you.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• From what I understand, if there are more than one lane in which you can turn right in, only the curb lane can turn right during a read light. So......you were correct in what you did.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Unless otherwise posted you can make a right turn for either lane. However it is only once deemed safe by the drive, so if you did not think that it was safe then you truly did nothing wrong. If the people behind you were getting aggravated though I would imagine that it was safe for you to run and I would have been one of the frustrated drivers behind you.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Right on red rules vary depending on the state-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When turning right you don't have to wait for a red light to turn green. You can merge as traffic allows.
    When turning left at a red light you have to wait for a green light, since you're always turning against the flow of traffic.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• so that means in the left lane as well? I would be crossing over one lane of traffic to get into the left side of the right lanes. At no point did I think I had enough time to cut in. I was driving a Doge Neon stick shift and I can never get it up to speed as quickly as my Ram Truck, especially when I had to cut across 2 lanes.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• depends on what state your in fl left is fine to turn in co its not only right is ok so just depennds on what state
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• sounds like you were rite
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2010