My one month old screams after 5 min of breastfeeding! And wont take it anymore!!! why???

I have been trying to breastfeed, i dont want to give up... but i am getting so tired!! Hes obviously not getting enough to eat...First time mom! Can anyone out there help???

Jemmima1

Asked by Jemmima1 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A possibility that I don't see explored very often in questions like this is....is your child possibly allergic to something you are eating? I had a girlfriend who drank a TON of milk while breastfeeding trying to be the good mom...baby kept screaming, and guess what? Her girl was allergic to cows milk.
    Another possibility is gas. Do you burp during the feeding and not just afterward? If not you should try it. It may help.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• hugs first.... my guess is that you are engorged, and that is the reason he wont nurse.. if you have a pump, use it, and pump him a nice bottle... that will get rid of the engorgement, and then the next couple of hours he will nurse on you, its cause he cant get enough of the nipple in his mouth... if you need more help, just ask, send me a private message..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When he pulls away, is there milk coming out of your breast? There's a chance you're actually making TOO MUCH milk, and he doesn't like it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• have you been going back and forth from bottle to breast? If so he may be upset b/c he has to work harder to bf and he wants you to cave and give him a bottle so he can be a lazy eater. not lazy in a bad way but if i was a baby i'd want you to cave and give me a bottle. They don't have to suck as hard w/ a bottle and can eat faster and then drift back off to sleep.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• There are a couple of possibilities to explore. First, you could have an oversupply problem and overactive letdown. Is he having foamy green poops? That's a sign of overactive letdown. Second could be teething, yes, it's early, but not impossible, check his gums. Third could be food sensitivities as mentioned above. The most common offenders there are dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower), and alums (onions, garlic). Keep a food diary, and try to limit these things, documenting when he has bouts of crying during a feeding. You might spot a pattern. Thrush is also a possibility. Check for white patches inside the baby's mouth, on his tongue and cheeks.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• if u have a fast flow pump and store that milk then let him eat fro u.stop to burb him befor he starts to cry.or mabe he just gets full fast.my baby girl used to only eat for a few minutes at a time b4 she was done
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Because he nurses for 5 min and then quits I'm thinking he may be frustrated that the milk isn't coming as quickly as it was those first 5 min. Try expressing while he nurses once your let down stops. If it's a case of your let down being too forceful you can try leaning back while you nurse and have him on top of the nipple so gravity is slowing the flow a bit for him. Don't pump and give him a bottle because that will most likely make the situation worse. I did that with mine and it caused nipple confusion (which may also be your son's problem if you've been giving him bottles). Stick with it and you'll both get the hang of it. Do watch your diet as others have suggested. My DD didn't do well with me having dairy but she didn't react during nursing. She'd react afterwards, so I don't think that is why he's crying.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Are you stressed any? I have a 2 month old, and I was stressed because I had to start back school when she was around 3 weeks old. Se would scream and not want to nurse sometimes. I would cry and get so stressed from it. She sensed that from me, and I swear that that was the problem. They know when things are wrong. Maybe he's full. My daughter gets fussy when she's full and wants to be burped. Does it happen more in the mornings, evenings, etc? Sometimes my daughter wants a bottle in the evenings b/c it's so much easier for them to take. I almost gave up b/c she was doing that, but now I've accepted that sometimes she just wants the bottle in the evening. And...as mentioned above, has he been getting a bottle? It could be nipple confusion. My daughter did that at first, but I stuck with it. I cried and cried, and she sensed that too. When I finally calmed down, she did better!
    christenlrodrig

Answer by christenlrodrig at 10:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• This happened with me and I had to cut out all dairy products. Try it for two weeks and if that helps, thats the problem, if not... maybe your baby is like mine and is too distracted. Try covering with a blanket or going in a dark quiet room and nursing. Also my baby will ONLY nurse if she's tired. Try different positions, different places, sometimes my baby will only nurse outside or in the bath. Keep trying, dont give up!! Your doing amazing :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2008