How do I make my almost two year old take a nap?

He used to go to sleep in the crib after crying it out , that doesn't work now b/c he climbs out. Sometimes he goes to sleep if he doesn't intake any natural sugar- foods such as: grapes, cranberries etc.. I am even scared of giving him diluted juice. Today he had grapes at 12, dry cranberries at 8a.m. of course coupled with food, it is almost 7p.m. but no avail. Help!

firsttimemot444

Asked by firsttimemot444 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keeping a very consistent schedule helps and lots of ENERGY USING activities early in the morning. let him run around outside for periods of time if its not to overwhelming hot...it will use a lot of his energy. And then have transitional activities that calm him down before a nap time. And even if he won't sleep talk to him about how its importatn to lay down and rest for a lil bit. Give him some books to look at while laying down. If he won't lay down in his crib try making a pallet on the floor and lay down with him for a bit. If he watches tv maybe turn on a favorite movie/cartoon? Just some suggestions...hope it gets better
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Any chance he doesn't need a nap? As nice as nap time is for us moms, it's not always crucial to our little ones. As we all know, all children are different. Some need daily and LONG naps and others can do alright without them. My oldest quit napping all together right at 3 yrs old. Our 18 month old usually naps but sometimes he doesn't. As long as he's not particularly grumpy I don't worry too much about the days he skips his nap. I am a fan of "rest time" on non nap days though.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Really, you can't force a child to take a nap. My daughter is 3 and she no longer will take a nap. Now sometimes she will go get in her bed and take a nap with out me telling her too, but other than that she wont. Some kids don't need naps anymore and some need them. You just have to figure out if your child is one that needs the nap. Have you tired laying in bed with him? Sometimes laying with them helps.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2010