Do u think chiness overtime should be legal

For those who don't know its when u work over time and your job only pays half.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 10:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• well it sounds pretty shitty to work over time and only get paid half... so, no, i do not think it's fair to be legal..
    millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 10:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Why would you be paid less than your wage? That is stupid, there is a reason why people pay time and a half for overtime... to compensate for the extra hours.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Its legal where we live well aleast that's what they tells us.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't think it should be legal...sounds like a way for a company to get something and not having to pay for it.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• why would they think it would be ok for you to work extra hours for half the pay? I hope you never agree to it. Don't you have a union where you work? That should be completely illegal.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Why would anyone be willing to work overtime for less money?
    Punkie74

Answer by Punkie74 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that it is not legal anywhere to pay less than minimum wage. Each state has it's own laws as far as time and a half go, but as far as minimum wage, it is a Federal law to pay at least min, wage. And if an employer is trying to say they are legally allowed to pay you less than min. wage for over time, tell your employer that you will be consultant a lawyer as well as the labor board. FYI, you should be able to consult a lawyer on that situation for free.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Do you have a salary? I have heard of Chinese overtime for salaried positions, but not by-the-hour positions. I'll ask my husband about it. He is majoring in accounting now and for our state laws they have to pay you time and a half. Funny thing is, his work tells him that all fire, police, and emergency services have to work 86 hours in a two week period before they get time and a half. So, somebody is lying!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Contact your state's department of labor. Chances are that this is not legal

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• It isn't legal...
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010