My almost two-year old doesn't speak much.

He does recognize alphabet letters (ok maybe three letters) wherever we go. He utters a lot of: Daaaa and huh huh huh huh.

firsttimemot444

Asked by firsttimemot444 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he might be shy if not tak ehim to the dr. but my son is three and as soon as he turned 3 he is a little talking machine lol
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 10:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You could always mention it to your dr...my son didn't seem to speak very much at 18 months but now at 22 months he says EVERYTHING, and it was almost like an explosion of language...really all at once..
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My sons weren't talking and barely babbling by age 2, and I had them evaluated. They were diagnosed with a mild form of autism that manifested itself in their inability to speak (until they were 4) and engage others in conversation.

But don't let that freak you out. It's better to address a possible problem, work on the problem, and it will pay off! My older son is going into 3rd grade, and he has graduated out of autistic support, and will be a regular ed classroom 100%!! My younger son is going into 1st grade, and he's spending his school day 50/50% regular ed/autistic support. I expect in 2 years he'll be following in my older sons footsteps.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My daughter is perfectly healthy, but didn't talk much at all when she turned 2. She is 2 1/2 now, and is still hard to understand but talks constantly. You can always get him checked but from what I've read don't worry until he's about 3 :)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My daughter was 2 and hardly said any words (I think she said 5...?). Her pediatrician said I should relax and that there was nothing wrong with her, that she would talk when she was ready. Family and friends told me the same thing. I didn't listen and I took her to a speech therapist where she was diagnosed with a speech disorder. She is now 4-1/2 and she has the words now, but it is very hard for anyone who doesn't spend a lot of time with her to understand what she is saying.

Basically what I am getting at is go with your instinct. If you are being told what I was yet you still feel there is something that isn't right, follow it up and take her to a speech therapist or call your local Easter Seals or county MR/DD department for an evaluation.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 2 yo babbles constantly, but alot of words are hard to make out. When he's in a mood, I'll point to objects and say what they are, he will repeat the word (I try to make sure it's alot of different sounds, he has problems pronouncing words that begin with L) but his comprehension is there. His tongue was slightly fused when he was born and we decided not to get the surgery since he eats everything in sight and really DOES NOT stop talking from morning til night.
    I give it another six months and he's gonna yak my head off. Our 8 YO started talking like crazy around 2-3 and hasn't shut up since. Ever. I'm not kidding. Ever! She even sings to herself in the bathroom.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Wow, I almost thought I wrote this!! My son is 21 months and does the same thing! I dont feel there is a problem, he understands me perfectly and he points to what he wants! He says some words, but I honestly can not understand them! Maybe he just doesnt have alot to say!! If you are worried take him to the dr, (I asked my dr at 18 months but I switched drs bc she was freakin out and made me cry and was a downright beyotch!!)
    DarthPink

Answer by DarthPink at 9:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010